Review by ShareTheGift -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ShareTheGift
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Review by ShareTheGift -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by ShareTheGift » 22 Sep 2018, 17:40

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner is a historical novel that skillfully shares the fictional account of a female Celtic warrior princess with a very special bond to her raven. Catrin encounters a Roman contingent on the shores of her country and must discover why they are there and the intentions of one young Roman nobleman in particular. The story quickly engages the reader in Celtic and Roman cultures and attitudes that were present at the time. It also creates an earthy and supernatural experience as the characters worlds collide. Neither side is sure who can be trusted or who the traitors are in their midst as there are quite a few twists and turns in the story.

I enjoyed Tanner’s ability to recreate the time period and cultures with images and actions that were believable and compelling. The Celtic beliefs in druids and mysticism and the Roman uneasiness with what they deemed as witchcraft set them apart as much as their ideas of the role of women in society. I also liked the way she brought the supernatural power aspects, supporting characters and fight scenes into the story.

While not a fan of the romance genre, I am a fan of historical fiction, and in referencing a book I have on Celts I found the background information accurate. I would have liked to have more information on the motivations of some of the characters. As an example, Catrin and Marcellus bonded quickly yet the bond seemed superficial when they continually doubted each other. I would also like to see more background on some of the supporting characters in the future books in the series.

I recommend this book to individuals interested in historical fiction and Celtic or Roman culture differences. While the romance scenes were not explicit, I would still recommend it only for adults. With those few scenes left out I can see where this book would be very appealing to the young adult market.

I rate Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner 4 out of 4 stars. I read the book quickly because the adventure kept me engaged and anxious to know what would happen next in the story. It was also easy to see that the book had been professionally edited. I was pleased that there were a couple chapters of the second book included which enticed me to think seriously about pre-ordering the second book that comes out later this month. I am anxious to hear more about several of the characters and if the storyline will delve more into some of the story’s other couples.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ShareTheGift's review? Post a comment saying so!

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: Call Her Miss Ross
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 11 Oct 2018, 09:55

Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner is a story of the difference between Celtics and Roman culture and their politics. The Love affair between Catrina and Marcellus is explained to a little extent by you. Thanks for your review.

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Raptor by B.A. Bostick

Post by teacherjh » 12 Oct 2018, 10:55

I'm not a fan of historical fiction, but this sounds like a good one.
Latest Review: Raptor by B.A. Bostick

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”