Official Review: Fire In The Heart by Lesley J. Mooney

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Official Review: Fire In The Heart by Lesley J. Mooney

Post by OloladeO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fire In The Heart" by Lesley J. Mooney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fire in the Heart by Lesley J. Mooney was staged in Scotland. The story begins with Rianna, who just turned eighteen and for the first time, her strict father allowed her to go out alone to meet with her friends, Annie and Jenna. On her way, she met Lord Rowan McClaron and found him overbearing because of his impertinent attitude. Events led to another and she was pressured into courting him by her father. Her heart was in great turmoil as she was in love with Gregor, whom her father didn’t approve of because he was part Austrian with nothing to offer as a suitor plus he wanted her to marry a true Scotsman. Eventually, Rowan and Rianna got married and she grew to love him because Rowan was passionate and obviously in love with her.

Married for seventeen months, Rowan’s urgency for a child began to make him impatient and his attitude changed towards her as months grew into years because he blamed her for their fate. In a bid to get away from Rowan and his horrid moods, she went to visit her parents and ran into Gregor. One thing led to another and they made love. Soon after, she discovered she was pregnant! Who is the father? What would become of Rianna if the baby doesn’t have the McClaron birthmark as Rowan has proven to be ruthless?

Lesley has given us some food for thought in this engaging read as she has managed to weave the themes of love, pride, murder, and mystery so effortlessly. She has done a great job developing the characters in the book as she gave them flesh and made them relatable. I particularly liked Rowan and was hoping he’d learn to share his personal troubles that plagued him with Rianna so she could understand the reason for his mood change rather than letting his pride get the best of him.

One of the points I picked from this book is that parents have a great role to play in their children’s lives. Rianna’s father shouldn’t have interfered with her love life. He should have let her make her own decisions and make her own mistakes. I actually felt like he sold her out because of what he stood to gain from Rowan, business wise. Tristan, Rianna’s son, who was once gregarious and fun-loving, became dispirited because of his parents' squabbles. He became edgy and was not concentrating on his schooling as he used to. I was really sad for him and I implore parents to take caution when it comes to their kids. They are watching you! Set the right example for them and give them the right environment to grow to their full potential.

There was really nothing I didn’t like about the book aside from the errors I encountered. The errors ranged from lack of punctuation to misspelled words. I believe the book would benefit from a thorough round of editing. Bearing this in mind, I rate Fire in the Heart 3 out of 4 stars. If not for the errors I would have given it a perfect rating.

I recommend this book to those who like romance sprinkled with murder and mystery. It is a good book to pass the time with. It has some sexual and violent scenes so I do not recommend it to children. If you are looking for an action-packed book, this is not the book for you.

Fire In The Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like OloladeO's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

So this romance has a murder woven in? It piqued my interest until you said this:
It is a good book to pass the time with.
I am choosy about picking books and I prefer books where I can get immersed in their world. So I am going to pass it. Thanks for the honest review!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Imagine being allowed to go out only when you reach 18! I will be more anti-social and lonely. It's sad that even Rianna’s love life was controlled by her father. The book sounds like an engaging read. Enchanting review!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Sounds like parents have lessons to learn from their children in this book, and they need to be more perceptive to the children's needs than their own. Good lessons to be learned. The storyline of the book seems interesting too; thanks for your thoughtful review.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

BookReader+6 wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 16:13 Sounds like parents have lessons to learn from their children in this book, and they need to be more perceptive to the children's needs than their own. Good lessons to be learned. The storyline of the book seems interesting too; thanks for your thoughtful review.
Parents need to learn to put their children's needs ahead of their own. Thanks for reading and commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 22:26 So this romance has a murder woven in? It piqued my interest until you said this:
It is a good book to pass the time with.
I am choosy about picking books and I prefer books where I can get immersed in their world. So I am going to pass it. Thanks for the honest review!
Thanks for reading and commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 03:52 Imagine being allowed to go out only when you reach 18! I will be more anti-social and lonely. It's sad that even Rianna’s love life was controlled by her father. The book sounds like an engaging read. Enchanting review!
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

This sounds like an interesting read. I especially like the fact that the characters were relatable and not boring. It can be really off-putting if the characters aren't fleshed out well as it makes me disinterested in the story.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Emi_Review wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 09:44 This sounds like an interesting read. I especially like the fact that the characters were relatable and not boring. It can be really off-putting if the characters aren't fleshed out well as it makes me disinterested in the story.
It is indeed an interesting read. Thank you for reading and commenting.

Return to “Historical Fiction”