Official Review: Mill Creek by Patrick John Donahoe

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Official Review: Mill Creek by Patrick John Donahoe

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mill Creek" by Patrick John Donahoe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mill Creek by Patrick John Donahoe follows the life of Michael Dunne. The first part of the book narrates Michael’s childhood spent in Cleveland under the influence of his deranged mother, the second part deals with the later years of his boyhood spent with his father and grandparents, and the third and final part continues his story in Mill Creek at West Virginia. This narrative is interspersed with a parallel storyline which shows the life of Jedidiah Weiser, a veteran of the Korean War, who after suffering much at the hands of his enemies returns to live in Mill Creek. This is the place where Michael’s path and Jed’s path finally cross and affect each other in unimaginable ways.

This novel is marked as a historical fiction in Online Book Club bookshelves and as a thriller on the author’s website. To avoid confusion, I should mention that the book contains a suspenseful tale culminating in a thrilling climax, while at the same time it narrates the history of West Virginia to some extent. It can also be considered a coming-of-age story as it shows the gradual emotional development of the protagonist. The inclusion of war scenes, experiences in prison camps, and a little romance makes the story touch almost all the genres.

Donahoe does a good work showing the transition of Michael’s character from a sickly child afraid of monsters to a brave and mature young boy. It was absolutely fascinating to watch the story unfold from Michael’s point of view. His insightful observations about every little thing would mesmerize the readers. The turning points of his life are painted so realistically that the readers can actually feel the thrill of his first hunt or the awkwardness of his first romantic experience. I was especially moved by some of his considerably mature thoughts such as-
“…if everybody looked at the whole human race as cousins, everyone might get along better”
“…why people couldn’t just do things for themselves, and thank God for the opportunities that life provided.”
Subtle moral lessons such as the importance of family and neighbors, the value of patience and compassion are emphasized again and again through Michael’s experiences.

Another character that Donahoe has sketched masterfully is that of Rita, Michael’s deranged mother. The accounts of her ruthless behavior and obvious contempt towards her children are chilling. But when the author lets us peek into the incessant gibberish of her addled brain, we cannot help feeling sympathetic towards her.

I found a few negative points in the book. First of all, the pace was not consistent throughout the entire novel. The second part, in particular, seemed unnecessarily dragged. This feeling was accentuated by the long stretches of passive narration from Michael’s point of view without any dialogue to liven it up. Secondly, narratives of Jed’s life kept disrupting Michael’s story abruptly without any apparent connection between the two storylines. At the end of part two, we finally realize that both of them are coming to live in Mill Creek. In fact, Mill Creek itself is not even mentioned in the book before that point.

In my opinion, the chapters and chapter breaks could have been arranged in a more compact way. Also, the ending seemed too abrupt, as if the author realized he had to end the book and hastily tied up the loose ends in the last few pages.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deduct one star because of the aberrant chapter breaks, inconsistent flow, and abrupt ending. Otherwise, this was a very pleasant read. From a technical standpoint, this book had only a couple of missing words and missing quotation marks which did not detract from the reading experience. All in all, I think this is a suitable book for young adults and adults alike. Any person who loves a character-driven story can take up this book.

Mill Creek
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I like character-driven stories but disjointed structure of the plot is a big no-no for me, hence, i will skip this one. Thanks for the honest review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 01:30 I like character-driven stories but disjointed structure of the plot is a big no-no for me, hence, i will skip this one. Thanks for the honest review!
Thanks for commenting, Debjani!
This plot structure was really disappointing, because apart from that, the story was beautiful, the characters were well-sketched. In some places, the book even reminded me of 'To Kill A Mockingbird', probably because of the moral lessons Michael gets. However, this book could have been a far greater read!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Well-written and informative review. Your constructive criticism about the book seems credible to me. I think you've done a great job and I wish you good luck for your future projects.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 06:19 Well-written and informative review. Your constructive criticism about the book seems credible to me. I think you've done a great job and I wish you good luck for your future projects.
Thank you Sunny, both for expressing your opinion and for wishing me luck! Much appreciated!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The experiences of the past could be as saddening as it seemed to be for this book's characters. However, the lessons gleanable from the story would be noteworthy. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Espie wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 08:00 The experiences of the past could be as saddening as it seemed to be for this book's characters. However, the lessons gleanable from the story would be noteworthy. Thank you for your insightful review.
Thank you Espie for commenting. Yes, their past histories were terrible, but it was intriguing to see how that had changed one for worse, but the other grew up to be more mature because of his sad past.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I can't imagine what it was like for the protagonist to grow up under a deranged mother. I just wish the book didn't have the disjointed narration interruptions by 2 characters. It can get to me. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
prince10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by prince10 »

It's quite absurd that the main character was raised up by a deranged mum...although the story sounds disorganized...I like the review
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Cotwani wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 07:19 I can't imagine what it was like for the protagonist to grow up under a deranged mother. I just wish the book didn't have the disjointed narration interruptions by 2 characters. It can get to me. Great review!
Thanks Cotwani! Yes, it was very painful to read about Michael's experiences with his mother and his almost resigned reactions to negligence from her part. But I suppose those initial experiences were what made him more mature. I have also read that children who are victims to abuse tend to be more observant. Michael's character actually meets that criterion.
As for the disjointed narration, it was irritating at times. But since the pace was comparatively fast, it did not create much of a problem in the end.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

prince10 wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 09:15 It's quite absurd that the main character was raised up by a deranged mum...although the story sounds disorganized...I like the review
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Although disorganized for a considerable part, the story was nonetheless very beautiful. Also the pace was not that slow, so I think it still is a very good read!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I enjoy historical fiction and learning about different eras and areas through good stories. Being from Ohio I may read this story as basically set in my neck of the woods. Thanks for the thorough and honest review!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

There seems to be a lot going on with this book! I would appreciate the moral lessons. I’m sure I would feel both horrified and sympathetic toward Rita. Thank you for sharing your insights about this book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Shrabastee Chakraborty

jcoad wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 06:58 I enjoy historical fiction and learning about different eras and areas through good stories. Being from Ohio I may read this story as basically set in my neck of the woods. Thanks for the thorough and honest review!
Wow, then I suppose this one will be perfectly suitable for you!
Thanks for the comment.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

stacie k wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 20:45 There seems to be a lot going on with this book! I would appreciate the moral lessons. I’m sure I would feel both horrified and sympathetic toward Rita. Thank you for sharing your insights about this book!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Yes, it was very horrifying yet heartbreaking to read about her. It is a pain to watch Michael go through all that!

Return to “Historical Fiction”