Official Review: Mill Creek by Patrick John Donahoe

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Re: Official Review: Mill Creek by Patrick John Donahoe

Post by Alice Heritage »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this insightful review. A book that shows character development is always satisfying. Some books just do cross genres, or touch on many, as you say. I guess the author has to pick a category for the purposes of this site, in which case it's great that you mentioned the genre issue in your review. The title was an odd choice if the location doesn't play that much of a role!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I would give this one a try even though it has some negatives. The history on West Virginia would be interesting since I grew up in Virginia. Thanks for your review.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Great review! However this looks like a tough novel to like. Correct me if wrong, I could feel you strongly to portray the positives, though the emotional themes and threads running through the novel could also make the novel riveting; but like it is said- the taste of the pudding is in the eating.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The book does make me wonder what happens in Mill Creek and maybe the mention of Michael and Jed's lives crossing there is the answer. It is interesting that the book covers historical fiction and thriller-type genres, including topics of war, prison camps, and romance.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm mesmerized by the cover illustration. It explains a lot about our meaning of life. I couldn't help feeling for the protagonist. As well as, I couldn't help drawing my self towards the protagonist compassion and patience. I love the idea of this protagonist. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 04:51 I thoroughly enjoyed reading this insightful review. A book that shows character development is always satisfying. Some books just do cross genres, or touch on many, as you say. I guess the author has to pick a category for the purposes of this site, in which case it's great that you mentioned the genre issue in your review. The title was an odd choice if the location doesn't play that much of a role!
Thanks for commenting! Yes, I myself was initially confused about the genre, hence thought mentioning it might be of help for potential readers.
Yes indeed, Mill Creek is just the settings where both the major characters ultimately end up. Although the descriptions of Mill Creek were beautiful, it doesn't really have a greater significance.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

LV2R wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 03:44 The book does make me wonder what happens in Mill Creek and maybe the mention of Michael and Jed's lives crossing there is the answer. It is interesting that the book covers historical fiction and thriller-type genres, including topics of war, prison camps, and romance.
Yes, a multi-genre book is not that easy to find. Of course, the answers are in Mill Creek, and I will encourage you to pick up the book to find out more! Thanks for stopping by!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 04:29 I'm mesmerized by the cover illustration. It explains a lot about our meaning of life. I couldn't help feeling for the protagonist. As well as, I couldn't help drawing my self towards the protagonist compassion and patience. I love the idea of this protagonist. Thank you for your review!
You are absolutely right, the cover is very significant. In fact, now that you mentioned it, I believe this might be a reference to the two protagonists' flow of life. Yes, you'll definitely love Mike! He is very sensitive, especially when his age and upbringing is considered. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

melissy370 wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 06:46 I would give this one a try even though it has some negatives. The history on West Virginia would be interesting since I grew up in Virginia. Thanks for your review.
Wow, it's your home ground then! I think you will love reading this book. It was a good one after all! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

The cross of historical fiction with thriller elements is intriguing. I'm interested in seeing how the lives of Michael and Jed become entwined. Nice review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Shrabastee Chakraborty

ea_anthony wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 10:41 Great review! However this looks like a tough novel to like. Correct me if wrong, I could feel you strongly to portray the positives, though the emotional themes and threads running through the novel could also make the novel riveting; but like it is said- the taste of the pudding is in the eating.
Well, it certainly had both positive and negative aspects. You are right, you will realize which appeals more strongly to you only while reading or after reading! Thanks for stopping by!
Shrabastee Chakraborty

[quote=BookReader+6 post_id=1039806 time=1540210070 user_id=990016]
The cross of historical fiction with thriller elements is intriguing. I'm interested in seeing how the lives of Michael and Jed become entwined. Nice review!
[/quote]

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you will like the book!
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

What a great review! Sounds like Michael overcame his dysfunctional childhood. I like your comment in regards to his deranged mother : "But when the author lets us peek into the incessant gibberish of her addled brain, we cannot help feeling sympathetic towards her." Very well written review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

fernsmom wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 21:32 What a great review! Sounds like Michael overcame his dysfunctional childhood. I like your comment in regards to his deranged mother : "But when the author lets us peek into the incessant gibberish of her addled brain, we cannot help feeling sympathetic towards her." Very well written review.
Thanks for your kind words, Linda! Yes, Rita's story was heartbreaking, she could not help who she was. But yes, I am glad that Michael overcame the abuse and became quite a level-headed teenager.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I absolutely love the quotes you picked as examples. They really make me want to read this book. It has a great character development, which is important for me, as you mentioned even the deranged mother has her backstory and the reader can empathize.
However, the pacing problem is a big one. Hopefully, the author will take your comments into account for the next books.

Return to “Historical Fiction”