Official Review: Deep Grass Roots by Marcia Neely

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Deep Grass Roots by Marcia Neely

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deep Grass Roots" by Marcia Neely.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deep Grass Roots, by Marcia Neely, is set in the plains of Dakota at the dawn of the twentieth century. It is one of the most captivating historical fiction books I have ever read!

After much deliberation, two young teachers, Tillie Melbakken and Bertha Harstad, embark on a journey that will test their character and fortitude. They leave the safety and comfort of their Minnesota homes and travel by train to Dakota in hopes of claiming land of their own. To gain rights as the owners of the free homestead land, they will have to develop and live on it for five years. Considering that the land is barren and desolate, it is quite a daunting task. Do the two teachers have what it takes to "prove up"?

The book spans a long period of time, allowing us to become comfortable with the main characters. We even become well acquainted with the rest of the characters in their small Dakota community. The characters are all superbly developed. Their actions and feelings are portrayed realistically, and their strengths and frailties are very human.

For two young, unmarried women to decide to "prove up" took a lot of courage and defiance of the norms. I really like that Tillie and Bertha have completely different personalities. Tillie is the picture of uprightness, strong willed, knows her mind, and is firm. Whereas, Bertha is softer, and more emotional. Thus, we see how their emotional reserves are tested differently, giving us a more complete picture of how homestead life could shape a person. The rest of the community, made up of families and both single men and women, also complete this picture. We see both happy and broken families and how the harsh homesteading life affects them.

Though Tillie and Bertha live in a completely different time, as a young woman in her twenties, I could relate to so many of their thoughts and feelings. Their efforts to build a life, their experiences with love, their joys, and their disappointments were so relatable. This is so because the book delves into serious themes that we still face today, like sexism, prejudice, and abuse. Yet, we get to see what the general attitude was about these issues in the early 1900s.

I rate Deep Grass Roots 4 out of 4 stars. It is entertaining and compelling on so many levels. Women will especially savour this gem. If you would like a quiet escape to a prairie land with its own unique, enchanting beauty, then this book is for you!

Deep Grass Roots
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I like books which are character driven yet entertaining. I think I will like this book. Thanks for the insightful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds fabulous! I love stories that revolve around homesteading. I can't imagine the work it took to get that land producing anything. It seems like this one is done extremely well! Thanks so much for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I have relatives in Minnesota and in South Dakota. This book really makes me curious about the settlement of this area. Your review is very interesting. This is one I would like to read. Thanks.
niles9695
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by niles9695 »

Every family of situations are different. Timely changes their values and features are supposed to give them difficult as expressed their related facing probably proving statement of anyone of this story book...
sylvaqinng
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by sylvaqinng »

This book seem great...which I will definitely read to get to know more about Dakota and its early settlements.
Rene l weaver
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rene l weaver »

This book sounds so wonderful!! Can’t wait to read it. I love books like this. :reading-3:
carmela gacayan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by carmela gacayan »

I like this books because the genre of the characters and also the author who whrote this book is amazing I hope more books that I can read

Return to “Historical Fiction”