Official Review: Cactus Jumpers by Andrew J Burch

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: Cactus Jumpers by Andrew J Burch

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cactus Jumpers" by Andrew J Burch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many books and films of the Western genre have similar characteristics. The scenery is often a rugged, open landscape. The characters in these stories also often belong in similar categories. There is usually a sheriff, townsfolk, ranchers, Native Americans, and wild gunfighting cowboys. In the book, Cactus Jumpers by Andrew Burch, we see many of the same characteristics evident in other westerns. Yet, at the same time, it does also manage to have certain unique aspects about it. The story can be classified as C/T/M/H as it has aspects of adventure, crime, and mystery to it.

The main story takes place in a small town, called Emerald, in California. As today, we see that politics and influence have always had a place in the running of a society. We observe the power struggle between the law and the wealthy businessmen. We learn that these power struggles have never really gone away and will always occur in society one way or another. In this story, we are introduced to Marshal Mason Boydette, the towns official lawman on one side; and the wealthy, influential Skip Traeger and Moss Williams on the other.

The citizens of Emerald must choose sides when a young woman is found dead, buried in a deep pool of water. The young woman is found to be an unimportant prostitute. If the Marshal does decide to dig further, he could be upsetting important and influential people in town. Thus, he has a difficult decision to make. There are several other characters who must make the difficult decision of whether to side with the Marshal or not. Among them are the Minister, Emmett Brady, and three newcomers to town.

One of the negative aspects about this book is that the backstories of many of the characters are explored in so much detail. It was also written in a way such that I sometimes got confused as to the present and the past. If those transitions between the past and present were clearer and not all over the place, the story would have been much more understandable. Several times I got lost and could not understand where that particular character fit in, and it was only after I continued reading further on, did the pieces fall into place.

On the other hand, the author does try and create good characters with many attributes. What I did like about the book was that the characters were well rounded. There weren’t simply good or bad guys. Rather, many characters in the story had both good and bad in them. The author also divulges a lot of the thoughts that the character goes through, so we can see how they grow. This allows the characters to be both human and fallible.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Generally, the main story was interesting and in-depth. However, I did have some reservations about the book. The book had quite a number of characters, and it sometimes was a bit difficult to keep track of all their individual stories. The fact that the author delved so deeply into each of the characters backgrounds could be seen as a positive or negative aspect. Some people may find it unnecessary and tiresome, while others may find it interesting. Added to this there were several minor grammatical errors. Nothing too detracting, a few homophones.

I think that this book would appeal to those who enjoy reading books that have crime, mystery, and action. If you enjoy high action scenes with shootouts and enjoy books of the Western genre, this book might be for you.

Cactus Jumpers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I loved your review. I love political elements in any book. I have never read a western as such, so this might make an interesting read.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Since I'm a fan of all the genres mentioned on your review, especially action, I will add the book on my to-read list. Your review is enchanting.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Thanks for the thorough review! It's good to know that despite familiar settings, the book has something new to offer. However, for a fast-paced action thriller, too much character background can act as a dampener. Hence, I will pass this one.

Return to “Historical Fiction”