Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amprye
Currently Reading: The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amprye.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Amprye »

I enjoy how informative historical fiction books can be. This one is also so cool because it has action and mayhem in the plot. Congratulations on book of the day!
Paulette Reefer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulette-reefer.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Paulette Reefer »

The review paints a convincing picture of the merits of this text and encourages the reader to want to reader the two former texts by the author.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 606
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

"Skills of the Waamunga" by Greg Cater is the third book in a trilogy story set in 1946 Malaya. An exciting book with a plot that includes kidnapping, theft and murder. The MI6 head of operations, Colonel Johnny Cook, is kidnapped by bandits and help captive in the jungles of Malaya, his men vowed to rescue him. The secrecy required in intelligence is necessary to protect our country. Trump has showed us what happens when one takes highly confidential data home he messed with national security.

This is an action-packed historical adventure that will keep you on the edge of your seat and I intend to read the entire book. Very good review.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This sounds like an action-packed novel. I'm curious to find out how these people rescued their colleague from the kidnappers. I've always enjoyed action-packed novels and this is definitely one. Great review!
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 606
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

"Skills of the Waamunga" by Greg Cater is the third book in a trilogy story set in 1946 Malaya. An exciting book with a plot that includes kidnapping, theft and murder. The MI6 head of operations, Colonel Johnny Cook, is kidnapped by bandits and help captive in the jungles of Malaya, his men vowed to rescue him. The secrecy required in intelligence is necessary to protect our country. Trump has showed us what happens when one takes highly confidential data home he messed with national security.

This is an action-packed historical adventure that will keep you on the edge of your seat and I intend to read the entire book. Very good review.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

This plot seems to be full of adventure and intrigue. I'm glad to know that although this book is part of a series, it stands up well on its own. I definitely plan on giving this book and the entire series a chance.
Carly Sprout
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

Your review really does give off an impression of a classic high-stake action and adventure, and I love that. The motley crew seems interesting and like it could be a good read too, watching all these different characters work together or even against one another. Thanks for the detailed review
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I appreciate when authors make trilogies that can be ead as standalones, like this series is. I do prefer to read books in chronological order to get the full essence of the main characters.
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

This is an action packed historical thriller. The plot has mistaken identity as a central point around which this book revolves. Greg Kater seems to be a seasoned writter. Would like to read it sometime. Your review is well written. Congratulations on the BOTD!
VicEbu09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vicebu09.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by VicEbu09 »

The warramunga series sounds like an interesting read. Though this Genre of book is not my type of novel I enjoy to read for reasons best known to me. Awesome review though and congratulations to this book of the day.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

I've been reading the comments this book has received and they primarily rave about the action in the book. Hence, would love to try out this action-packed historical fiction. Congratulations on being listed as Book Of The Day.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

The review is great and I loved the plotline. I will have to look for the first 2 books in the series though. Congratulations on BOTD!
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

An intriguing work of historical fiction that explores the ecology and culture of humans in tropical Asia. deliver a compelling storyline as well. Both the plot and the characters are engaging and well-rounded. I'm interested in learning more about the experiences that occurred in Malaysia's rainforests. I'm interested in reading the remaining volumes in the Warramunga series. Congrats on botd!
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

This sounds interesting but I'm not a big fan of war stories, so the chances for me to read this a rather slim. Your review was very detailed and that I appreciated as it gives you a clear idea of what to expect, thanks for that.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I'm curious to know how the head of M16 operations Colonel Johnny will be rescued in the Malaya jungle. I would love to read the other Warramunga series. This sounds like an engrossing tale. Congrats on the BOTD.

Return to “Historical Fiction”