Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Great review, this book sounds amazing!! Action packed, hard to put down are great attributes. I had already planned on reading, The Warramunga's War and The Warramunga's Aftermath of War. So now I will add this one to my list. Congratulations on BOTD.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I'm already familiar with Greg Kater's other two novels, Warramunga's War and Warramunga's Aftermath of War, so I'm definitely curious to read about Jamie Munro and Jacko O'Brien's adventures in this new novel. The realistic descriptions, good dialogues and exciting twists and turns of the plot intermingle with a fine sense of humor and interesting culture specific elements. I can't wait to see if the two friends will save Colonel John Cook from the Malayan jungle. Thanks for a great review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

Thank you for your thorough review. I appreciated that the author continues to put a lot of work into researching the cultures and time period. Thank you for noting the unfortunate use of offensive language.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book sounds interesting. It’s good to hear that the plot was great and the characters were well developed. Historical fiction is not my favorite genre, but this book seems like a worthwhile read. Thanks for your review.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for your review!! I's awesome to hear this book can stand as a standalone, seeing as it is the third in a series. The first few pages drew me in and this book seems to have a rich plot! Hence, I'm adding this one to my shelf.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

It's good to know that it's a stand-alone book. I'm like you --- I like to read books in a series in order but there are exceptions of course. This book seems like one. Books that center spies and their missions excite me. I added it to my to-read list.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

I haven't read the first two books in this series. The setting seems really intriguing, and the characters seem interesting as well. It's good to know that this book can stand alone among the series. Thanks for this review!
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

The book sounds indeed like a major page turner as described by the reviewer. I like that the book stands alone, despite being the third installment in the series. I also like that the book is well edited and lacks errors. Congrats to Greg Kater for yet another masterpiece.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I've heard so much about the "Warramunga" books and it's about time I picked one up! The review has certainly stimulated my interest as I love an action-packed crime thriller with a dash of history and humour in it. I'll be starting with the first in the series but it shouldn't take long to get to this one. Thanks for the expository review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Cecilia_L wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 13:47
Life In Books wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 11:47 I sampled the first few pages of the book. The story begins with the kidnapping of Colonel Johnny Cook by the bandits in the jungle of Malaya. The description of the scene is intriguing. As mentioned in the review by Cecilia_L, this book would be loved by readers of action adventures and historical fiction. Cheers :) :)
Thank you for your comment. :tiphat:
Welcome :)
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Skills of the Warramunga is the third in a series written by Greg Kater about World War 2 and post-WWII espionage thrillers in the West and now in Asia. Kater writes war, particularly action scenes, well. His literary style is crisp, stark, clear and clean - shining examples of brevity with impact. Skills of the Warramunga is about the British spy John who is sent by the MI6 to spy on the Malaysian Communist Party at a time when the Malaysian Union is about to be established. The story begins with the kidnapping of Colonel Johnny Cook by a bandit group in 1946 in Malaysia. The team from The Warramunga's War and The Warramunga's Aftermath of War is back to rescue John. Cecilia_L has written a very informative review for those interested in reading this book. She writes: "There was never a dull moment in this action-packed historical adventure, and I found it hard to put down. As I haven't read the other books in the trilogy, I wondered if the book would stand on its own--it did." She lauds Kater for using the characters' native dialects to flesh them out. I'm very glad there is a major female character, Sarah, a skilled tracker, who will help in the rescue of Johnny. Cecilia_L warns about the use of a particular word which may be deemed racially offensive now. Congratulations to Greg Kater for this trilogy. I hope more readers get to know Mr. Kater and his Warramunga series.
RayaunaJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RayaunaJ »

:D I read the excerpt of the book before reading your review. Now, with both under my belt. I am ready to enter the world of Warramungas’. I look forward to getting to know all of the characters,especially Johnny because I feel just as confused as he portrays himself to be. Also, I look forward to understand the relationships that have already formed such as those between Jacko and his fiancé. I would probably prefer to go back to the first in this trilogy. However I feel comfortable enough to start here.
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

Thank you for your review :) As an Australian, I really enjoy reading books featuring Australians as I find they're rather few and far between. It's great that this would work as a stand-alone novel, but I've already got the first 2 books on my to read list so I'll make my way through the list first. Thanks to your review I can't wait to make it to this one :)
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Thank you Cecilia for this nice review. I love action stories and the Skills of the Waramuga fits the bill. I haven't read any of the books but just from your review I am tempted to read, this one particularly.
Melissa35
Currently Reading: The Black Diamond Curse (Hattie Jenkins & The Infiniti Chronicles #4)
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Melissa35 »

I really love your detailed review of this book, It really helps me to get a idea of what to expect when I read it. You really peaked my intrest. You also mentioned that it stands on its own which makes me want to read it although I haven't read the others yet. I will definitely read this book. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”