Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
smaggelet
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by smaggelet »

I very rarely come across a story including Aboriginal characters. The representation is appreciated, but I wonder if the portrayal is a little bit of a stereotype?
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I haven't read the other two, but I'm extremely interested in reading this book as I like completing all books in a series.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1880
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater' serves the purpose of prior information of the book, for the readers. It prepares the mind to read the book. Nice to learn that the reviewer is encouraged to go back and read the first two books in the Triology, after reading this book!
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

The rescue mission of Colonel Johnny Cook seems to be full of adventure and action. I am glad that the book also offers the reader an opportunity to learn "new vocabulary from different languages." It sounds like a book I would really enjoy reading. I will add it to my to-read list.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hopefully Jamie, Jack, and Sarah can rescue Colonel Johnny before it's too late! It's great to hear that there was never a dull moment here and that your interest was piqued enough to want to read the first two books in the series. I love when there is diverse characters and learning new words when reading. I never heard of the word, "lubra", but that's a good point to make - might need to be reconsidered as a word used in today's world as it's offensive. Glad to hear you enjoyed this well-edited page turner! Thank you for sharing!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a wonderful book. I read the first book and I do remember Sarah quite well. Her skills in tracking were unequaled. Congratulations to the author. Thanks for the review too. I will have to read this book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

The Warramunga series has some aspects of stand-alones. I have read the Warramunga war and it was not just enjoyable but satisfying too. I can't wait to read this one too from the review I deducted that it's also a stand-alone. The author always has a way with words in his books and I can't wait to read this.
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

Historical fiction is not really my taste of genre but I still appreciate the nice review on it.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

The plot of this intriguing historical fiction includes kidnapping, theft, and murder. I will be burying my self in the book very soon.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Inspection
Bookshelf Size: 3836
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

This trilogy sounds very interesting. I enjoy historical fiction and I've never read books centered around Australia and aboriginals. It's good to hear that it stands alone well. Sometimes that can be frustrating when you find a book is not the first in the series. Thanks for your insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

Book number three of the Warramunga trilogy. A great action filled book that makes you want to read the first two books of the series but stands alone well. A book like that makes you keep reading it in one seating. Congratulations.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 670
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

A thrilling and adventurous story with no graphic and profane scenes is worth my time. And to add on that, historical fiction is one of my favourite genre. Am adding the book to my bookshelf. Quite an informative review. Kudos.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I have mixed feelings on this one, considering I love historical fiction and the plot itself sounds intriguing. I am also happy to see that there are more than just Caucasian characters in this, although the treatment of other races during this time does call for questionable (at best) language towards such characters, something which I prefer to avoid. I am also not sure if I am in the mood for reading about this time period right now and do not want to read a series out of order, but it's still worth keeping on the back burner. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Sounds like a great book. I always like books with good character development. I also like the idea of been nag able to hear their accents & language by reading. Thanks for your informative review.,
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

This sounds like an amazing story. I like that there's a lot of action and adventure involved. Thank you for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Historical Fiction”