Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Re: Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by amandathebibliophile »

Great review! I’m always impressed when a book in a series stands well on its own, and it sounds like this one does. I also like seeing how much other's have enjoyed the characters! Considering this one :)
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This sounds like a great series. I would definitely want to read the first books before delving into this one, but look forward to adding this book to my shelves.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Three MI6 agents on a mission to rescue their head of operations, Colonel Crook. The plot is intriguing indeed.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
SarahMichele06
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SarahMichele06 »

I'm glad to see that you think the book has an appeal to a wider audience than just historical fiction books. In my opinion some historical fiction books can become a little dry so I also liked to see that you mentioned the use of humor occasionally, that will definitely make the story a bit more relatable and less dry than the historical fictions that I can never seem to finish.

Also, thank you for explaining that although it's the third installment of a trilogy it can be read as a stand alone book. Definitely made me more interested in reading the book seeing that there's no extreme need to know the plotlines of the previous stories!

While reading the sample I thought that the use of some words to describe the Chinese characters may have had a more negative connotation but I too thought that it was probably used because of the historical setting, an example of this being 'Chinaman'. I think it's great that you added that example of 'Ludra' in there so people who read your review weren't extremely caught off guard by it, definitely worth noting.

Thanks for the well worded review, I read the sample and enjoyed it but wasn't sure if I would continue, so it's nice to know that the story becomes action packed and has a lot of elements plot wise! Definitely a book I think I'll have a good time reading.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Your review certainly made me want to read more than the sample. I can certainly relate to the characters and dialogue, British stiff upper lip, and Aussie informality. Thanks for writing the review.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

This one sounds more interesting than the rest of the books in the series. I am not sure if I would like to read it though as the other books didn't appeal to me.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

Nope. Just nope. I'm not into historical fiction. It's not my thing. This one doesn't seem like it's going to change my mind. Sorry.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater is a #HistoricalFiction book that weaves an #Action-packed #Adventure (set in #Malaya, in 1946) following the rescue of the MI6 head of operations, Colonel Johnny Cook. It is the third book in the Warramunga Trilogy.

I would like to read the trilogy in proper order, so I won't miss a thing. I'm glad to enjoyed reading it even though you had not read the first two books yet. Thanks for the review.

#Aboriginal #Action
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Not all writers get to intertwine a good plot and its characters using different languages in a story. I personally think that using the characters native language adds flavor to the story. It's also great that the book stands alone.
TheRVMom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thervmom.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by TheRVMom »

Sounds like this would be right up my alley. I love action-packed historical fiction. I've never read anything about Australian history, so this would be a first. I enjoyed reading your opinions about this book. Thank you for the thorough review!
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I've only read the free sample, seems cool but I thought its not my genre; but this review brings out my interest in reading it. Maybe I should add it to my want to read shelf. Good review!
modupereb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-modupereb.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by modupereb »

The title itself caught my attention coupled with your concise review. Weldon Cecilia for this interesting review. In a moment from now, I will start reading the book.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

Sounds like an enjoyable read! With great editing and well developed characters, it has to be good. Thanks for the review.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Thank you for the review. I remember having run into the previous two installments of this saga in earlier BOTDs. Once again, it seems the author has moved from a spy thriller to one of crime and mystery, and now to an action-packed adventure. Unfortunately, the beginning of the first book failed to catch my interest. Still, I am sure there will be those who will feel otherwise.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I had the chance to check out the first two books in this series earlier in the year when they were featured, it's fantastic to hear that the third book brings the same strengths like an action-packed adventure story and well-rounded characters. It's also nice to know this book can be read as a standalone, giving a chance for new readers to discover this world and the author!

Return to “Historical Fiction”