Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Skills of the Warramunga is the third book in the Warramunga Trilogy by author Greg Kater. Set in 1946 Malaya, the plot of this intriguing historical fiction includes kidnapping, theft, and murder.

When the MI6 head of operations, Colonel Johnny Cook is kidnapped by bandits and held captive in the jungles of Malaya, his Australian colleagues make it their mission to rescue him. The three men had previously worked together running an intelligence operation in Cairo, in 1941. Jamie Munro is a former army officer, and he and his friend Jack O'Brien, who is half-Aboriginal, now head Darwin's Commonwealth Investigation Service. As they head to rescue Johnny, they are joined by Sarah, Jacko's half-sister, who is a Warramunga Aboriginal and a skilled tracker.

Meanwhile, there's been two murders and a robbery at the tin mine near Parit. The whereabouts of the mysterious Pieter de Groote, who reported the crime and is now a suspect, remain unknown. With the increase in recent assaults and burglaries, local law enforcement fears the crimes may be related to rumors about a criminal organization seeking to disrupt the upcoming Malayan Union ceremony. When it's learned that Johnny Cook was kidnapped because he was mistaken for one of the new government administration members, Colonel Samuel Martin, the plot thickens.

There was never a dull moment in this action-packed historical adventure, and I found it hard to put down. As I haven't read the other books in the trilogy, I wondered if the book would stand on its own--it did. The plot was well-written, and the author also intertwined pertinent details from the previous books, The Warramunga's War and The Warramunga's Aftermath of War. Though I usually prefer to read a series in order, this book piqued my interest enough that it's likely I'll go back and read the first two.

The plot is supported by a diverse cast of well-developed characters. I particularly enjoyed the way the author brought his characters to life through the use of their native dialects. Not only could I hear the Aussie and British accents as I read; I was introduced to new vocabulary from different languages, too. I also appreciated the author's occasional use of humor in the story.

The only thing I would change in this book is the use of one word, "lubra." The word is used to introduce Sarah, and by definition, it refers to a female Aboriginal Australian. However, when I looked up the unfamiliar word, I learned that it is considered racially offensive. It's likely the word wasn't offensive in 1946, but it bears noting.

It's evident the book was professionally edited, as I didn't note a single error. I'm pleased to rate this page-turner 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to readers who enjoy historical fiction and action adventures. However, the book would appeal to a broader audience as well. The plot-related violence was not graphic, and there wasn't any profanity.

Skills of the Warramunga
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad this one stood on its own as I haven't read the others either. It's evident that you enjoyed it; it's nice that it's professionally edited as well. Still, I don't think I would want to read this one without reading the others. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

I understand. Thanks for your comment.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

Thanks for pointing out that the novel can stand on its own. It sounds very interesting, but I wouldn't normally read it if I had to read the previous two in order to get the full story. It sounds very entertaining, and now that I know I won't be missing part of the story by starting mid-series, I will have to add it to my list. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

You're welcome. I appreciate your comment and hope you enjoy the book.
Berry obehi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Berry obehi »

The novel sounds so interesting i think i might have to read it on my own ,to be able to enjoy it on full.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love action-packed stories such as this one. Missing persons, murders and robberies will certainly keep the readers' eyes open. Thank you for a thrilling review of this book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Berry obehi wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 17:23 The novel sounds so interesting i think i might have to read it on my own ,to be able to enjoy it on full.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

crediblereading2 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 21:23 I love action-packed stories such as this one. Missing persons, murders and robberies will certainly keep the readers' eyes open. Thank you for a thrilling review of this book.
I appreciate your comment. Hope you enjoy the book!
CryptQueen
Currently Reading: Working Stiff
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cryptqueen.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by CryptQueen »

This book doesn't seem like my cup of tea so I'll pass. Good review though.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The Warramunga series has received high acclaim in the OnlineBookClub platform. It's good to know from your review that the third installment in the series can be read as a standalone and that it has lived up to the expectations that it's predecessors set. I would definitely like to try out these novels. Thanks for the review!
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I really love the title, I would go just for that. But your review has made me even more excited about this read.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

CryptQueen wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 21:55 This book doesn't seem like my cup of tea so I'll pass. Good review though.
I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 02:09 The Warramunga series has received high acclaim in the OnlineBookClub platform. It's good to know from your review that the third installment in the series can be read as a standalone and that it has lived up to the expectations that it's predecessors set. I would definitely like to try out these novels. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 08:01 I really love the title, I would go just for that. But your review has made me even more excited about this read.
Thank you.

Return to “Historical Fiction”