Featured Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater [October 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Re: Official Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by inaramid »

Hm, I haven't made up my mind yet about the first two books in this series. The setting seems really intriguing, and the characters (yay, diversity!) seem interesting as well. It's good to know that it's a standalone book. Thanks for this review!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I read 'The Warramunga's War' and loved it. I opted to pass on the second book of the trilogy, but thanks to your review, I'll be checking this one out. Kater's style of writing is very suspenseful and I'm glad this book shares the same style as the first one.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Great review. Now, I have another book to look forward to reading. I read the first and the 2nd is on my list to be read soon. I seem to like this author's writing style and the fact that there is no graphic violence or profanity makes it a winner for me. I think if you have time to read the other two, you will enjoy them also.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

inaramid wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 09:12 Hm, I haven't made up my mind yet about the first two books in this series. The setting seems really intriguing, and the characters (yay, diversity!) seem interesting as well. It's good to know that it's a standalone book. Thanks for this review!
Thank you for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

BookReader+6 wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 10:54 I read 'The Warramunga's War' and loved it. I opted to pass on the second book of the trilogy, but thanks to your review, I'll be checking this one out. Kater's style of writing is very suspenseful and I'm glad this book shares the same style as the first one.
Thanks for your comment, and I hope you enjoy the book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Britty01 wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 11:01 Great review. Now, I have another book to look forward to reading. I read the first and the 2nd is on my list to be read soon. I seem to like this author's writing style and the fact that there is no graphic violence or profanity makes it a winner for me. I think if you have time to read the other two, you will enjoy them also.
Thank you. I anticipate reading the first two.
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

I read the first book in the series, The Warramunga's War and particularly enjoyed the second half of the book, when the agents were assigned back to Australia and tracked down a gang of spies and robbers. It had almost a wild-west feel to it. I'm glad to hear that Sara makes another appearance. I also enjoyed the way the author included her dialect. I worried that it might make her seem too uncivilized or uneducated, but the character was portrayed as very bright and the difference of dialogue between siblings was explained as a difference in access to the British form of education. I'll look forward to reading the other books in the series.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Chandler_Greg wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 11:09 I read the first book in the series, The Warramunga's War and particularly enjoyed the second half of the book, when the agents were assigned back to Australia and tracked down a gang of spies and robbers. It had almost a wild-west feel to it. I'm glad to hear that Sara makes another appearance. I also enjoyed the way the author included her dialect. I worried that it might make her seem too uncivilized or uneducated, but the character was portrayed as very bright and the difference of dialogue between siblings was explained as a difference in access to the British form of education. I'll look forward to reading the other books in the series.
I'm looking forward to reading the other books, too. Thanks for your comment.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Cecilia_L wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 23:23
The plot is supported by a diverse cast of well-developed characters. I particularly enjoyed the way the author brought his characters to life through the use of their native dialects. Not only could I hear the Aussie and British accents as I read; I was introduced to new vocabulary from different languages, too. I also appreciated the author's occasional use of humor in the story.
I have read reviews on all of these books and remain interested in the stories. You have captured the tone of the book well. I enjoyed that you let us know how adept the author is at writing dialects. Not always an easy thing to do. Thanks for the great introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eva Darrington wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 11:27
Cecilia_L wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 23:23
The plot is supported by a diverse cast of well-developed characters. I particularly enjoyed the way the author brought his characters to life through the use of their native dialects. Not only could I hear the Aussie and British accents as I read; I was introduced to new vocabulary from different languages, too. I also appreciated the author's occasional use of humor in the story.
I have read reviews on all of these books and remain interested in the stories. You have captured the tone of the book well. I enjoyed that you let us know how adept the author is at writing dialects. Not always an easy thing to do. Thanks for the great introduction to this book.
Thank you, Eva.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I enjoy how the author brought out his character. The occasional humors in this books makes it an interesting one to read. Writing in different dialects are a bit difficult but the author did that adroitly. Thanks for this review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 06:58 I enjoy how the author brought out his character. The occasional humors in this books makes it an interesting one to read. Writing in different dialects are a bit difficult but the author did that adroitly. Thanks for this review.
Thanks for your comment.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A historical fiction continuing the adventures of Jamie and Jack in Malaya sounds good. Throwing in murder and kidnapping in the mix should add to the excitement. That the book was professionally edited and the characters well-developed is certainly a plus. I didn't read the previous books in the series, so I won't read this one as well. I am glad you found it fascinating, though. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
piecesfallapart
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piecesfallapart.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by piecesfallapart »

I’m glad this book could be read on its own. I do not think I would be reading the trilogy, but the book sounds interesting.

Your review made the book more exciting than the summary of the book. That being said, is not part of my reading choice.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a action adventure historical fiction novel that highlights espionage, kidnapping and action in a captivating plot that kept me reading non-stop. The OnlineBookClub review was written masterfully and represented the book well. Congrats @gregkaterauthor for the BOTD.

Return to “Historical Fiction”