Official Review: Real Principals Have No Class

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Official Review: Real Principals Have No Class

Post by HRichards »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Real Principals Have No Class" by DeLene Sholes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Educators are, without a doubt, vital to our society. They see children in many different circumstances of life from many different backgrounds and most give of themselves altruistically for the simple reason that they love children. Education is also a demanding profession, with many standards and sometimes inadequate funding to achieve what look like impossible results. That being said, educators are often full of stories, be they funny or heartbreaking, and many of them are deeply affected by the students they teach.

In Real Principals Have No Class, retired educator DeLene Sholes relates the trials and triumphs of Suzanne, principal of Baker Elementary, a school beset by poverty, hostile parents, and the constant threat of being shut down. Suzanne is faced with the seemingly impossible job of teaching children in a school falling down, with too few teachers, and a school board that seems uninterested in helping. As a teacher principal, Suzanne is not only dealing with the administrative aspects of the school, but also teaching classes. The story starts with Suzanne being asked to leave her position in the face of criticism by parents, and she relates the story of how she got to this point and some of the students and teachers she encountered along the way. From a murdered gerbil to a girl glued to the desk to a hot pink portable building, Suzanne sees it all and manages to get the school accredited in the process.

I ended up giving Real Principals Have No Class 4 out of 4 stars. As an educator myself, I found the events completely believable no matter how odd some of them sounded. The author clearly had plenty of experience as an educator and was very familiar with the intricacies of the school system. Many of the issues with parents related in the book are ones I have seen firsthand. Suzanne is a caring teacher who only wants what’s best for her students, and she admits many of her mistakes as she looks back on her career.

My main complaint with the book is that it might have flowed better as an actual memoir by the author than a fictional account. It was clear that many of the stories in the book were ones the author had actually experienced to the point I thought it was a memoir for a while. The narrative seems to meander at times, as though the author is trying to throw every story she’s heard from her years in education into the plot. Because of that, sometimes I felt myself wondering why she needed to relate certain incidents when they didn’t really have any importance to the main narrative.

I enjoyed Real Principals Have No Class. Even with the wandering plot, I found myself interested in the many children Suzanne crossed paths with and the bizarre experiences she was forced to deal with. While I may have never had to deal with inebriated parents or a head lice outbreak, I sympathized with situations that were all too real. This book is enjoyable and gives the reader pause about the complex jobs teachers and administrators are faced with.

Real Principals Have No Class
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like HRichards's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Despite the oversharing of details, this sounds like an interesting book, and I enjoyed your review.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I like the title of this book, very creative. I think the importance of teachers in our society is often overlooked. This sounds like a fun, but serious, book. Thanks for your review, I'm adding it to my shelves!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

As a teacher, I can completely relate to this story when it comes to witnessing bizarre events like children getting glued to their own desks. I do agree that it might have been better if the author made this a memoir, because it does sound like all of the events could have actually happened in real life. Kids can be insane, and they get it from their parents who can be even more insane. When all of these people come together into one building, it's a miracle any real learning takes place. I would love to read this book, since the author managed to get the school accredited after parents tried to get her fired. As for the fact that it was fiction, the author probably just called the story fiction to avoid getting sued by angry, psychotic parents and coworkers. This sounds like a wonderfully realistic portrayal of what happens in most schools. Thanks!
:character-ariel:
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems to be a sensible portrayal of the hardships that a teacher has to face in her job. However, the author's insertion of unnecessary anecdotes can derail the story. Thanks for the review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I think education is one of the most demanding and important positions in the world. It is the pathway to all other careers. Great review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around the trials of an elementary school principal sounds intriguing. I agree that Educators are vital to our society. Looks like the author has many interesting stories to share, but too bad the narrative seems to meander at times. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I read this book and enjoyed it. I didn't know principles could sometimes be required to teach a class. I also didn't know they still combined grades in some classrooms.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This is an interesting book, which almost everybody identifies with. Thanks for the detailed review
fndirangu20
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: the girl who knew da vinci
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by fndirangu20 »

I relate so much with the book, and i also like the review. I am going to read it.
Arup343
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arup343.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton Cosby

Post by Arup343 »

Wow! Such a wonderful way of reviewing a book! Looking forward to reading the book soon... Awesome!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Suzanne sounds like a great teacher; we need more people like her in our educational system. I can't wait to read about the murdered gerbil and the girl glued to a desk. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Interesting that you said you wished this was told like a memoir. That's what I thought it was before I got to that paragraph. Sounds interesting and enlightening. Thanks for your review!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Real Principals Have No Class sounds like a great book. The book revolves around the hardships a teacher encounters in the process of imparting knowledge. Teachers play a vital role in our societies but unfortunately they are often underrated. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson

Post by lesler »

This book is already awesome. As a teacher, I appreciate how realistic it is, and I feel connected to Suzanne. It makes me sad that her community can't behind her, and can relate to never being good enough in the education field.

Return to “Historical Fiction”