Official Review: Real Principals Have No Class

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Re: Official Review: Real Principals Have No Class

Post by Sweetp120 »

I enjoyed this review and todays sample. It was just a little hard to read as with the consequences of my own actions I will never get the chance to experience any of the things that were portrayed. Grats on botd.
Dilshoda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dilshoda »

As I read through the review of the description of teachers having many stories of their past experiences with students that are funny and might seem unbelievable, I could totally agree with that. In my third grade, my teacher was an old teacher who’s had at least twenty years of teaching experience and she would express some situations she’s had had with her past students. She also used to teach so calmly and use expressions that would make us all guffaw with interest. I can’t imagine how hard it would be for a teacher to experience the school that they are teaching at deterioting. Getting the students attention and teaching 30 different students in a class is hard enough, but having to face the environmental crisis of students just giving up and parents not even being interested must be a hard experience to pass by.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It's fascinating how the author wrote on such a topic, and as the general commentators have mentioned it's an ideal read for teachers. Thank you, but this isn't my type of read.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I have read the sample and identified with her. School administrators often find themselves between the rock and hard place. I am sure the threats from parents cannot mess up a principal the way uncooperative teachers would.

Of crucial importance is the desire that the author would have written a memoir. Thanks for your review
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

HRichards wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 20:50
My main complaint with the book is that it might have flowed better as an actual memoir by the author than a fictional account. It was clear that many of the stories in the book were ones the author had actually experienced to the point I thought it was a memoir for a while. The narrative seems to meander at times, as though the author is trying to throw every story she’s heard from her years in education into the plot. Because of that, sometimes I felt myself wondering why she needed to relate certain incidents when they didn’t really have any importance to the main narrative.

I enjoyed Real Principals Have No Class. Even with the wandering plot, I found myself interested in the many children Suzanne crossed paths with and the bizarre experiences she was forced to deal with. While I may have never had to deal with inebriated parents or a head lice outbreak, I sympathized with situations that were all too real. This book is enjoyable and gives the reader pause about the complex jobs teachers and administrators are faced with.
They say to write what you know. Apparently, the author took this very seriously. However, perhaps as you say, she should have considered making it a memoir rather than a fictional story. Sounds like a good read. Thank you for your informative review.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Lmwise89
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lmwise89 »

Reading this book definitely gave me a better appreciation for teachers and their level of love and devotion that they have for their students, despite the many hardships they face. I enjoyed reading about how Suzanne herself went from being the class clown that barely made it through highschool, to a highly respected and devoted member of her staff at Baker. "Real Princinples Have No Class" is both an inspirational and heart warming read.
ReaderXL27
Currently Reading: Inkspell
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ReaderXL27 »

While I'm not an educator, I somehow can relate to the stories just by reading your review and sample pages.
No matter how good of a job we're doing, people who love criticize others will always find faults in what we're doing.
This is a very interesting book, I'm gonna add it to my shelves.
Thank you so much for sharing your review!
sharon8910
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon8910.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by sharon8910 »

Sorry to ask, but what you meant with this phrase? "This book is enjoyable and gives the reader pause about the complex jobs teachers and administrators are faced with." I think I understand, but then the word "pause" lost me there for a while. As for your review, I can say is a book I won't be reading, not because it doesn't sound interesting, because the world of teaching is one of the most difficult and beautiful as you can help and actually witness how this little person is developing and growing more and more, and that is one of the best feelings in the world. Just the book didn't call my attention to read it. Good work on the effort :).
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

Your review is so comprehensive. From what I sampled of the book, I have to agree with all your main points. Thanks for the great review.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

A book loaded with the author's experiences in the educational system. Really, educationists go through a lot, both insults from students and the school owners, inadequate salaries, etc. This book serves as a good encouragement.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Nandy
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 170

Post by Nandy »

As an educator you see all sorts of things. This book really does appeal to all educators out there. Great review
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting educator/school based fiction. I have heard of schools that attempt to do their best, but are plagued by issues. Educators have difficult jobs and are sometimes blamed for issues that arise outside of their control and therefore should be respected. I feel that this story would be better as a true accounting rather than a fiction. Well Done.
jst123
Currently Reading: First Fruits
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by jst123 »

Real Principals Have No Class by Delene L. Sholes
This book, although the author says is fiction, does point at issues happening in schools today. It has touched on issues to do with parents, pupils, and teachers. This can help one to have the clear picture of what happens in schools even if they have not worked at the school before.
I have given it a three out of four because the author delivered what was intended to.
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

Educators are unsung heroes in our society, frequently working long hours in the task of instructing today’s youth and playing a vital role in molding their future. Oftentimes, parents and communities give teachers the near impossible undertaking of educating these students with little resources. Additionally, it is theorized that educators are solely responsible for framing the future of these young people when in reality it is a collaboration of the entire community. Staff is given unbelievably challenging obstacles in the face of profound adversities. I think that fact that the author has shared some of those experiences, albeit in fictitious fashion, is admirable as it can serve as a testament to real-life challenges of being a teacher.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I enjoyed the sample but I did not realize the book was fiction. Thanks for clarifying that and for the wonderful review!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

Return to “Historical Fiction”