Official Review: Real Principals Have No Class

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Re: Official Review: Real Principals Have No Class

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I was hooked just from reading the sample. I too have a background in education and many of her stories sounded dead on to similar things that I had experienced right down to the difficulty of getting hired because it's not what you know, it's WHO you know. This one is definitely going on my "want to read immediately" list. Thanks for the very candid review!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Thanks for your exceptional review. My daughter is a teacher and has told some very funny stories sbout her school. I like that some of these stories are based on true events. Teachers have a very difficult job. Congratulations on being chosen as BOTD.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I read the sample myself and was trying to figure out if it was fictional or a memoir. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Despite that what I read was enough to keep me interested and your review makes it sound appealing as well. It seems as though Suzanne really cared for her students and was passionate about her job, which is al one could hope for when someone is with your kids all day.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

It definitely was a bit unsettling to have the author relate certain incidents in the book when they didn’t really have any importance to the main narrative. However, everything else seems to stack up in the book's favor. So it is worth adding it to your "To Read" shelf.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Isaiah2018
Currently Reading: Pivotal Moments
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Isaiah2018 »

From the review and title the book seem to be enjoyable and the principal potray a good image of school by also helped in teaching the students I will keep it in my shelf for me to read I advise people to read this book
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

As an educator, I do appreciate you saying that we are vital in society, and I definitely always have stories to share. :) I like that the author has experience in teaching and was able to use her experiences to write about Principal Suzanne, who tries to save her school while completing her administrative responsibilities and teaching. It's great that you found the material here believable and that Suzanne is portrayed as a caring teacher. Too bad that the flow seemed off and the book would have been better suited as a memoir instead. However, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this sweet book regardless. Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Educators have all type of stories. Some may seem unbelievable, yet they are true. I know because I've been an educator for almost twenty years. I have seen and experienced a variety of situations that I never ever imagine. I want to know more about how Suzanne achieved to get her school accredited. This book is right up my alley. Thanks.
Sanashiii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanashiii.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Sanashiii »

I think the reviewer shared too much details about the book, but it was promising. Thanks for the review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I can pretty relate with being a school administrator as I was the administrator for a tuition centre before though we have never face a head lice outbreak. The life of educators and the administrators dealing with kids have many stories to share. I can't wait to delve more into this book.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I would like to agree with the reviewer's suggestion. A memoir can make this book more powerful.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

As an educator's son, I find this book interesting. I always like to hear the unbelievable stories that happened at school. Congratulations on BOTD.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a wonderful educative book that may leave every reader appreciating the role that educators do play in society. It sounds bad that after achieving so much, the principal is still forced to step down. Thanks for the wonderful review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
desmonddcastro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by desmonddcastro »

Everything in this book is well written and the Author, I must say has a way with writing. Most of my time and practically every alternate month I purchase books as my son and myself love reading.

When I was reading this book, my son told me dad whenever your reading these book on the net, I would also like to join you in reading and I agreed as it would be good to get 2 reviews instead of 1 at the same time and believe me this is the 1st book that we read and he said to me Fantastic Author and Fantastic book.

So its not the book its the Author of this book where all the credit goes too. I would like to give thumbs up.

Desmond D'Castro
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I am intrigued to know more about Suzanne's experiences as the Principal of a school on the verge of closing down. Her struggles are real, but very few people will probably understand them. Maybe that is what compelled the author to recount all the details from her teaching career. Thanks for the succinct review. As an educator, your judgment is much valued.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

This book is definitely a reach for me. I never thought to think much on the struggles a school administrator have to go through to reach the standards of the community. Also, at a discounted price, I think this read is worth a shot. Thanks for the review and the comprehensive perspective you shared.

Return to “Historical Fiction”