Official Review: The Promise Seed by Jody Glittenberg

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Official Review: The Promise Seed by Jody Glittenberg

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Promise Seed" by Jody Glittenberg.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After reading this book, what crossed my mind was a statement I read somewhere that ‘Mother Earth does not care for humanity. Man could either care for her or suffer the consequences.' I think this is true, and it will be of great help if everyone remembers it. This book explores a lot of issues, but the dominant one is the need to conserve the environment.

The Promise Seed was written by Jody Glittenberg. It was published by Words With a Mission Publisher. The book contains 309 pages. It is an absorbing story of five generations of courageous homesteaders. The story is narrated in the third person point of view. The book is dedicated to all people around the world who join together to halt the destruction of resources, deeply respect all creatures, and also honor Mother Earth. Every environmental conservationist will enjoy reading it.

The Congress had just passed the Extended Homestead Act of 1909, and thousands were risking everything to go and settle in the prairie land in Colorado. The land was given for free. The prairie land was initially occupied by the Cheyenne people. However, they were relocated to a fenced place in Oklahoma. Therefore, the new settlers encountered no resistance. John William and his cousin, Gus, together with their families were among the people that moved to Colorado. John and Gus had to begin establishing their lives from a scratch. They have to live in a dugout house at the beginning. It is a hard time for both families as they were unused to this life in Storm Lake, Iowa. However, John died as he was helping to douse a fire that had begun in the prairie. He left behind his wife, Rose, and three children. Will they manage to survive in this new land?

One thing that I liked about the book was all the characters were built adequately. Emotions were conveyed in a way that one will have a sensation of what the different characters were feeling at various times. When John died, Rose felt hopeless and could not imagine living without him. She decided to commit suicide and was almost pulling the trigger when her young son, William, stopped her. It was hard to imagine how Rose could decide to leave her three children behind when things seemed to be falling apart. However, it demonstrated the intense affection that had developed between her and her husband, John William. The plot was equally developed well. It was easy to follow the story from the start to the end since all events could clearly be connected.

The author was able to interweave many themes to form this fascinating story. Themes like love, family, greed, religion, loss, agriculture, and environmental conservation were perfectly integrated. The contrast between some characters was brought out strongly. William and his brother, Hank, were so different that one could not believe they were related. There was a difference between John and Gus also.

The book was edited properly, but there are some errors that include misspelled words and missing speech marks. This could be improved if another round of editing is done. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to everyone who likes reading historical fiction books. It will appeal most to those who like stories set during First and Second World War. The story revolves mainly around farming. It alludes to Christianity a lot but this solely reflected how life was at that time. The story will leave all readers with a great deal to think about.

The Promise Seed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

It must have been gut-wrenching for Rose to lose her husband John. It seems the author has effectively portrayed the emotions of the different characters in this story. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the editing, but I do enjoy reading stories centered around the homesteading times. It would be amazing to be able to get some land for free only having to work it for 5 years. However, it would be back-breaking too. Very interesting period in history. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CG1103
Currently Reading: The Clouds Still Hang
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cg1103.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by CG1103 »

I wouldn’t mind reading this book. It sounds interesting. I like the idea of reading something that deals with our environment. I’m not at all opposed to Christian themes either. This is a pretty good review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”