Official Review: The Strength of Wills by Allen Walker

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: The Strength of Wills by Allen Walker

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Strength of Wills" by Allen Walker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Allen Walker's The Strength of Wills, he takes the reader on a fictitious historical journey through Poland, Germany, and France at the height of WWII. The book's events span a period of 3 years, from 1939 to 1941.

The protagonist is Jedrek, a polish teenager who finds himself in a precarious position after a bomb destroys the only home he's ever known, taking his dear mother's life in the explosion. With nothing left, Jedrek has no time to grieve as he's injured and has to flee to save his young life. He teams up with Viktor, a much older ex-military officer with whom he journeys into the unknown. Although an unusual pair, the two form a bond that's as close as that of father and son. They learn from each other, with Jedrek doing most of the learning, they risk their lives for each other, and they look out for each other. Their resilience and ingenuity shine through, helping them overcome the challenges that life hurls at them.

The Strength of Wills being Walker's first novel, I was impressed by its quality of writing. He presents the story in the form of journal entries, which made it possible to put the events into perspective. Sprinkled throughout the book are hand-drawn maps detailing Jedrek and Viktor's journey. These add a personal touch to the book, and even those with limited knowledge about Europe's geography will smoothly sail through. The author's mastery of language will captivate any keen reader, especially when the naive Jedrek hears Victor use "big" words and can't comprehend them. The book also contains phrases in German and French, but these need not be a deterrent to anyone who isn't proficient in these languages because the author provides translations. I also found the many footnotes useful as they provided valuable additional information.

Outside the cocoon of Jedrek and Viktor's individual lives, the author paints a realistic picture of the events of wartime. Death and destruction are rampant; lawlessness prevails, and it all boils down to every man for himself. The author doesn't shy away from narrating the horrors that the Nazis rained on perceived enemies, even giving insight into what went down inside the concentration camps. The psychological torture that these events have on a young mind is also evident, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for the many who remained scarred for life after their innocence was ripped away by these harrowing events. Also explored is sexuality and how it manifests in times of war. On this topic, the author hits the nail on the head, telling of soldiers whose perversion led them to prey on young boys.

Overall, the book is well-edited with several errors, mostly misspelled words, which didn't detract from the story. It's an insightful read which deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to lovers of European history, WWII enthusiasts, and lovers of historical fiction.

The Strength of Wills
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am sold on your review to pick up this book (if it's available at a discounted price :p). So many books pictured on WWII focus too much upon the war. I am glad that this book depicts an endearing relationship between a young boy and a middle-aged man, relying on each other to survive through the war. Thanks for the great review!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Wow,I wish I had a friendship like that of Jedrek and Viktor, the relationship so strong and inspiring! Even though I'm not a fan of historical fiction, the story seems interesting. Awesome review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This seems quite well-done and realistic. I feel sorry for Jedrek and all he lost, but there are many that did lose much in that war. Thanks so much for the review. I'll have to put this one on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I love war narratives and I love your review. definitely going for this one.
PIerce32265
Currently Reading: Never Say Never - Free Preview
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by PIerce32265 »

The characters were Jedrek and Viktor,their journeys into the unknown,limited to knowledge and Europe's geography will smoothly sail through their was a bomb that kill Jedrek mother's in the explosion.Viktor was an old ex-military officer,they going through this journey and hurls together.They also contains phrases in German,French.although the events of wartime,death,destruction. The book was telling how soldiers perversion to prey on young boysIn the war of time ,how it manifests in times of war.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This sounds like a phenomenal World War II fiction that does not neglect the horrors that occurred in this time. I am glad the writing is realistic and goes into depth. Congrats on the book of the day! Great review.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I am a fan of war narratives and historical fiction. Thanks for the thorough review.
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

Not a fan of historical fiction or books on WWII. With realistic writing, superb details, and lots of emotion I’m sure the right audience will appreciate this one.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I love historical books and war stories. It breaks my heart to read about the people's suffering and at the same time I feel proud and inspired by stories of resilience and heroism. This seems like a good story about two unlikely people forming a bond during the world war. I loved your review!
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Am intrigued by The Strength of Wills by Allen Walker because of the idea of the world war two in the book considering that historical fiction is my type of genre. Am thrilled by Jedrek's story and so I will definitely read this book. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Am intrigued by The Strength of Wills by Allen Walker because of the idea of the world war two in the book considering that historical fiction is my type of genre. Am thrilled by Jedrek's story and so I will definitely read this book. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

Most stories set in WWII automatically interest me, but your review makes this one seem exceptionally good. I am looking forward to reading more about Jedrek's story.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I really like the premise of this relationship-based novel. It's great to know the writing is well-done. Thanks for the recommendation!
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This book seems well-written and thoroughly thought out. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy books about war times. Still, Jedrek sounds resilient and inspiring.

Return to “Historical Fiction”