Official Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Post by melissah30 »

This doesn't seem like a book I would read, but your review almost makes me want to try it anyway!
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

This is a great review. I have always been curious about New Zealand and hope to visit it. I like historical fiction too. Adding this in my TBR.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Based on the review I am not sure if this book is something I would enjoy. I don't like reading historical fiction novels or books about wars. The romance of the story does intrigue me enough to give the book a chance.
amafie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie »

I have never heard of the Boer war and am captivated by the thorough review. Being an avid fan of historical fiction, I found myself wanting to know more about the war itself as well as being enticed to read a story that deals in such complexities. Thank you for mentioning the usefulness of reading the chapter titles as well as hinting toward the vocabulary that is used through out the book so the reader would be prepared to learn new words and the definitions of those words. :tiphat:
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I love romance and historical fiction, but I've never read a combination of both. I'm already excited. Hopefully, the book delivers. Thank you for the review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a good book. I like that the titles help avoid confusion. Thank you!
:tiphat:
Maleeha_sheikh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maleeha_sheikh »

Thanks for the review,it really piqued my interest otherwise only by seeing the title i never would have gone for this book. A little romance in otherwise intense story can be refreshing.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love historical fiction, although I'm not really looking for anything too heavy on romance or war fiction right now. Still, the fact that it's about a war I know almost nothing about in a place which is very foreign to me does make this book sound more intriguing. I guess I'll give it a read sometime. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the thorough review. I find it surprising that the main character joined war for love. This sounds like a good story, but for now, I feel I have read enough war related books. I might pick it up later, though.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I can't remember ever even hearing of the Boer War during school. I'm not really into historical fiction even if it does manage to integrate romance into it. I think this is a skip for me. Thanks for the great review
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I definitely like this storyline that revolves around South Africa and New Zealand. It's an absolutely lovely romance story because of this man that sacrifices his time and effort in a war that doesn't concern him at all. Thanks for a lovely review.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Forgiven by Geoff Lawson is a historical fiction and romance drama set in late 19th Century when men from New Zealand were drafted in the Anglo-Boer War in South Africa. It is the story of Richard Wilson who falls for Rachel Purdue, who comes from a family of status but whose reputation has been tarnished by a rumor. Wilson, in his desire to be "worthy" of Rachel's family's approval, becomes a soldier in the Boer War. However, at home, Rachel is kidnapped for ransom after her brother runs away from his debt. This book would be a great way to have your romantic fix if you're a fan of genre and at the same time learn about the Anglo-Boer War.

Thanks for the insightful review, Cher432. You were able to convey clearly what you liked about the book: exciting transition from scene to scene; the hero's adventures are page-turners; it has a charming allusion to Sherlock Holmes and another author you like; and the story is solidly grounded in the history of the Anglo-Boer War and 19th Century life. Congratulations to the author for this BOTD!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Though this sounds lime it has potential to be a good book it also sounds like it can possibly be a little dull and slow as well.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sample the book on Amazon. This is a historical romance fiction set in the 19th century in New Zealand and South Africa. This story portrays the love-life of the protagonist who is from New Zealand, in the settings of the Anglo-Boer War in South Africa. As mentioned in the review by Cher432, this book will attract readers of historical romance fiction.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

To go to a war to proof yourself to the family of the woman you love? Interesting approach. Don't like romance but I will give this one a try. Congrats on BOTD.

Return to “Historical Fiction”