Official Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Re: Official Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Post by Laura Del »

So this is basically Out of Africa. Don't think I'll be picking this up any time soon. Just doesn't seem like something I'd be into.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this was an interesting novel, but I did have issues with the how the chapters did not seem to be continuations. I am not a particular fan of Romance genre, but the author does well to intertwine historical events and a desire to the go to war to prove one's love. Well Done.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Ha, happy to hear that Richard didn't pay the price of his life! The fact that he entered the war on her behalf is crazy, yet also commendable. This book seems like a whirlwind of events. I've read quite a few "war" books where I was left on the edge of my seat. I thoroughly enjoy page-turning books such as these and I'm excited at the prospect of considering this one to read soon :D Thanks for the review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I don't remember when was the last read a book set in the 19th century. A combination of historical fiction and romance makes this book sound thrilling to me.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
princessrosemain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princessrosemain.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by princessrosemain »

It is also my first time hearing about the Anglo-Boer war, to hear that the main character joins the war all for the name of love sounds amazing. It is great because it tells us about the life in that era as well as the experiences of the protagonist. I haven't read the whole book yet but sounds like a good one to read.
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by cindyr2416 »

Great review I love stories that show how two people overcome all situations to be together. Learning of new places and historical fiction is something that catches my attention. I will add this to my list.
vinkipc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinkipc.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by vinkipc »

:techie-reference: Great book to meet the interest of historic fiction and romance novel lovers. The book is set in the 19th century, highlighting the event of the Anglo- Boer war. Fighters are always driven by different desires to participate in wars. However, this one is interesting as it is romance driven.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I love historical fiction and this multi-cultured one sounds so good. Add in the romance it just creates an epic read. Looking forward to reading it thanks to the author I get a free copy on Amazon Kindle. Thanks for the great review.
TGreg02
Currently Reading: A Horse Called Hero
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by TGreg02 »

Thanks for your review. The book sounds very exciting and I love reading historical fiction. It appeals to me and I will look out for it.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Glad to know that you have found a new author that you like through reading this. Also, I would like to thank you in mentioning to read the title of the chapters as to not get confused on the timeline as it is not a continuous read. Not really a fan of romance but it is good to think that the author wrote it pretty well as to fit the historical part of the book. Thanks for this great review!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
rZkkrrizh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rZkkrrizh »

That was spot on..review was also fluidic..shifting from one aspect to another effortlessley..keep the good work up.: :techie-reference:
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I think right from the title to the main context, the book is a nice one. The story of the war in New Zealand is informative to us who know little about that part of the world during the 19th century. Love will always conquer.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
ross921
Currently Reading: Pogo's Tale: The Life of a Therapy Dog
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by ross921 »

This story is based on drama and am not a big fun of drama myself.But we the everything went sideways it got thinking,this might have a nice nice ending or maybe not.I am going try to read the book :eusa-think:
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I have a good first impression of this book, thanks to your very thorough review. I love that the story tackles the Boer War, as being from that part of the world, it is of special interest to me. I especially like that this book teaches us about something of historical significance, as well. Great review of what seems to be a wonderful book. Many thanks.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you for your review! You really did the book justice, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Set in 19th century New Zealand, today's beautifully-written and well-researched BOTD is an original story of love and war. Fans of historical fiction and romance are sure to be hooked from page one! Thank you to the author for the free book! :-)
Last edited by tarafarah7 on 01 Jan 2019, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Historical Fiction”