Official Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Official Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hopefully Richard's and Rachel's love for each other will win over war! I've actually never heard of the Anglo-Boer war, so it's great that there is an author out there sharing this piece of history. It's great to know that the author shifts from one timeline to the next smoothly and weaved in the romance nicely. Also, it's nice to know that you were engaged throughout Richard's adventures and close shaves. Too bad about the confusion of understanding the chapters, so good advice in reading the chapter titles first! Wow, just one mistake? That's awesome! I don't this is for me as I don't enjoy war-based books, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson' gives a clear idea of the story. It mentions the elements of literature discussed in the book. It is a complete work and has simplicity of expression.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I do not know much about the Anglo-Boer War either, and it is interesting to see a historical fiction story set to the backdrop of a lesser known conflict. Though the synopsis doesn't really appeal to me, I really like that there is a romance at the center of the plot, and that it takes place in across many countries. Thanks for the review!
C M
Currently Reading: Piazza Carousel
Bookshelf Size: 759

Post by C M »

We really love the historical aspect of this story. And glad to know that the history of the Boer war was covered so well that you (generally speaking) can learn something. That's great! And a definite go for us. Thank you for your thoughts.
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

Not a fan of war based stories or historical fiction so I added to my not interested in reading shelf. The romance portion is interesting and will be appreciated by fans of this genre.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I love historical fiction and romance. A d war stories too even though I have never heard of the boer war. I don't mind the complex words as you mentioned as long as its not too many. Thanks for your review!
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Your synopsis of this novel attributes great craftsmanship to the writer. Great craftsmanship definitely makes the difference between a highly enjoyable narrative and one which the reader is straining to plow through.
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

Thanks for the interesting review of this book. I have to admit that I'm still on the fence concerning this book. Probably more so after reading your review. The author has given an interesting premise concerning this story, but there are some elements that put me off. A character having a couple near misses is one thing, but to basically survive each near-death encounter puts me off. I like that Richard joins the war to prove himself. It's romantic and something that most would dream of having someone do to prove themselves. I think I'll read a few pages and decide from there as to whether I will pursue reading this book.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Forgiven by Geoff Lawson is a #HistoricalFiction that talks about #AngloBoerWar, #Love, and #Romance. It is a story set in New Zealand and South Africa in the late 19th century. It features Richard Wilson's life in New Zealand, his love to a girl named Rachel Purdue, and his participation in the Anglo-Boer War in South Africa.

Thanks for the awesome review.

#War #SouthAfrica 
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

It sounds like this author is a good writer and versed in many literary works. I'm not sure it is entirely my speed, but it does seem like an interesting read. Well, I own it now and will have it if I ever decide to read it through!
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Thank you for the review. This book looks like a classic story of a man who joins a war to prove his worth and conquer a woman of different social status. Although the premise and the historical setting in question do not seem particularly interesting to me, I am sure there will be those are looking for this kind of stories.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

While I like romance books, I do not like reading historical fiction. I might read pure romance books and hence skip this book. Thanks for your review. Congrats to the author on the 4/4 rating.
Maya_Nyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maya-nyssa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Maya_Nyssa »

Is it me or are there a lot of war-related historical fiction books lately coming up for BOTD? While I enjoyed your review, I'm going to pass on the book.
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praisecrown8.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by praisecrown8 »

I love novels that help me learn new words.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Even though the book is about the Anglo-Boer war in South Africa, there is also a romance between Richard and Rachel that makes the book seem more interesting. I like that the author has a good writing style with the use of new vocabulary. The fact that you read it to the end without realizing it, shows that the book was well written, as well as, well edited.

Return to “Historical Fiction”