Official Review: The Three Lives of One by Lesley J. Mooney

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Official Review: The Three Lives of One by Lesley J. Mooney

Post by Allyseria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Three Lives of One" by Lesley J. Mooney.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Three Lives of One is a historical fiction written by Lesley J. Mooney. The book is set in the 1920s through to the 1980s, and follows an island girl who is rescued after a tsunami wrecks her village. However, unfortunate events result in her moving from family to family until she is kidnapped and forced to work in a brothel for a year. When she manages to escape, she finds that her talents lie in nursing, photography and singing. Her journey leads her to briefly join the army until an attack on the camp forces her to escape. Back in America, she discovers her biological father and receives a letter that is the key to all her dreams. Later, when she falls in love with a missionary, will she finally be able to find a true love that will erase her tragic past?

There were a lot of grammatical errors and typos throughout the book. Also, despite all the horrors the protagonist, Patches, had to go through, the book barely touches on the following post-traumatic stress disorder that should have developed as a consequence. Furthermore, all these events should have led to the blossoming of a strong female protagonist, especially as Patches manages to survive and recover from her experiences. However, this doesn’t happen. It felt as if the events were there to serve the plot of the story instead of helping to develop Patches’ character.

Moreover, Patches should have developed an aversion to men after everything that had happened to her. However, she suddenly decides to join the army despite saying that she loathed men. Back then, the army consisted of all men with the exception of a few rare nurses. Not only that, but when she arrived to the camp, she showed no signs of hating men or feeling uneasy around them. In fact, all of her interactions to men after her assault were no different to her interactions with women.

The book also doesn’t delve into the issues surrounding adoption despite Patches being an adopted child herself and her children being adopted.

Overall, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. The author tried to fit too many events into the book and ended up with a shallow story. It would have been better if the author had focused on one part of Patches’ life and used it as the main storyline. Despite this, the book did give an interesting peek into Patches’ life and by the time I reached the end of the book, I felt emotionally invested into her well-being. The author had successfully created a character that we cared for and gave the book a perfect ending.

The Three Lives of One
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Allyseria's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The book also doesn’t delve into the issues surrounding adoption despite Patches being an adopted child herself and her children being adopted.
You make a good point about adoption. Expanding this theme alone would have added depth to the plot. Excellent review!
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

Thank you for your brief review. Despite the shortness, it concisely gets across some key points for me. I probably won't rush out to purchase this book because I love historical fiction, but I also love deep, realistic characters in that genre. I didn't feel the protagonist underwent a suitable growth and I don't want to read events simply for a story's sake.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

For the character to live such as eventful life and not be changed by it seems unrealistic. The story-line is, however, interesting. Thank you for your honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Thanks for the honest review. Grammatical errors are a big turn off for me.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Cecilia_L wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 06:39
You make a good point about adoption. Expanding this theme alone would have added depth to the plot. Excellent review!
Thank you for leaving a comment! When I read the blurb, I had expected adoption issues to come up. Maybe that's why I was more disappointed during the read :shock:
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 08:54 Thank you for your brief review. Despite the shortness, it concisely gets across some key points for me. I probably won't rush out to purchase this book because I love historical fiction, but I also love deep, realistic characters in that genre. I didn't feel the protagonist underwent a suitable growth and I don't want to read events simply for a story's sake.
Yes, the protagonist didn't go through a suitable growth and that's what was most disappointing about the book. :cry2:
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Cardinalsparrow wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 16:11 Thanks for the honest review. Grammatical errors are a big turn off for me.
Better to avoid the book - it definitely needed to go through a more thorough editing process :)
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

daydreaming reader wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 20:08 For the character to live such as eventful life and not be changed by it seems unrealistic. The story-line is, however, interesting. Thank you for your honest review.
Thank you for leaving a comment :) The storyline was interesting so the book definitely had potential! If only the character had been more affected by the situations.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

Yes, the protagonist didn't go through a suitable growth and that's what was most disappointing about the book.
I hope the author takes note so as to improve on their next book.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:

Return to “Historical Fiction”