Review by hdutz 2018 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
hdutz 2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hdutz-2018.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review by hdutz 2018 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by hdutz 2018 » 10 Sep 2018, 08:30

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner is a 24 AD look at Britannia and the fight for power between tribal rulers. On the Celtic side, there is King Amren with his youngest daughter Catrin. Catrin, while young, is a tough warrior princess who also shares powerful magic with her Raven. On the Roman side there is Lucious Antonius and his son Marcellus. Marcellus has been sent by his father to seduce Catrin and learn how to over throw King Amren. Catrin and Marcellus soon have feelings for each other and that’s when things interesting.

Linnea Tanner has done an amazing job with her cast of characters. The story is told from each character’s perspective. Knowing what drives each character, keeps you engaged in the story. Linnea Tanner is also brilliant at giving you vivid descriptions of the scenes while they unfold. Reading this book was like being in the heart of the events, as they are happening. You can see, smell and almost touch the scenery.

The first half of the book you learn the dynamics of each character. How King Amren came to rule and the curse that was placed on him and his family. You learn of Marrock, the King’s son, who was banished as a boy and Marrock’s role and his plan to over throw his father, the King. You learn about the Roman’s and what is driving them to take King Amren’s kingdom from him. Then there is Catrin and Marcellus who have been thrown together by their families to gain knowledge of each family’s intentions. The families will then use the knowledge gained for leverage, if war breaks out. The families did not count on Catrin and Marcellus falling in love though.

The second half of the book flies by as you become engrossed in the love story of Catrin and Marcellus. Once their love for each over is revealed the chaos ensues. There comes a time when they will have to work together to save the ever-growing tribal tensions. Will they betray each other to save their families and their kingdoms? Catrin seems to have insight into the future, gained by the powers she holds with her Raven, but things don’t go exactly as she has planned.

Linnea Tanner has made Apollo's Raven into a series and I cannot wait to read the next book, Dagger’s Destiny, to pick up where this one left off. Honestly, I did not think this was a genre I would enjoy. I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from this author.

I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. I loved how the author made the warrior, Catrin, a strong and confident woman. The only ding I would give the book, is that Catrin is so young. However, the author was writing a period piece and things were different back then. I highly recommend this book. I recommend it to everyone. If you think this is not your genre, give it a chance anyway. I know I am happy that I did.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like hdutz 2018's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”