Review by Joan144ita -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Joan144ita
Currently Reading: Breast Cancer, an Emotional Journey
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan144ita.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review by Joan144ita -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Joan144ita » 06 Sep 2018, 06:07

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo's Raven is the first book in Apollo series by Linnea Tanner, an intriguing historical fiction with a young girl, Catrin as the lead character. Catrin is depicted as a powerful spiritual warrior yet to discover the extent of her abilities to see the past and future through her closest companion, a raven. The first chapter introduces us to Catrin using her powers to see the Roman warships docking at shore that are accompanied by her loathsome half brother. When she goes home, she finds her father holding audience with a Roman senator and his son with demands backed by the Roman emperor that Marrock, her half brother be the heir apparent to her father's throne. She exhibits a lot of courage when the meeting turns violent in a bid to save the senator's son which infuriates the father accusing her of betrayal. The story goes on to show us the social setting and religious beliefs of the Cautiacci people as opposed to the Romans as observed by the senator's son who is left in Cautiacci as the guarantee of King Amren's safety in the Roman camp where negotiations between the king and the Roman senator continued. The mistrust between Marcellus and Catrin imposed on them by their respective parents is soon dissolved by their forbidden attraction for each other which ultimately leads to Catrin's death in a bid to save Marcellus' life.

The flow of the story line is interesting from one character to another from the different dimensions of the characters. This begins with Catrin's dilemma on whether to use her powers or not due to the warning the father on the consequences thereafter ,to her responsibility to her people and family against Rhan's curse followed by Marcellus views on Catrina and his stay at Cautiacci, Rhiannon's secret past, Mor's secret lover to Marrock's life and hunger for revenge. Political alliances and conflicts, betrayal, women empowerment,male chauvinism are themes heavily depicted in the story in an interesting fashion. The author also uses some English words that are not oftenly used making the story fancy, words such as fealty, steed, scurrilous, prebuscent, wench, pheasant among others.

The book is professionally written and edited and thus I found very minimal mistakes only in the spacing between words. Overall, the book is in order and the flow is continuous making it an easy read, I could barely put it away when I began reading it.

In view of all this, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars, it is well written and edited, interesting and thus captures the reader's attention in all the chapters and scenes of the story and diverse as it combines politics with love, betrayal with courage in an interesting twist of events.

I recommend this book to literature students, young women and all fiction lovers. This book will blow your minds away!

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Joan144ita's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”