Official Review: Gods and heroes by Oladele Olusanya

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Gods and heroes by Oladele Olusanya

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gods and heroes" by Oladele Olusanya.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gods and Heroes by Oladele Olusanya recounts the story of the Yoruba people in ancient times. Now, the modern Yorubas occupy present-day western Nigeria, but their origin traces back to ancient Nubia, located between Egypt and Sudan during those olden days. Their story has been told and retold through oral tradition, passed from generation to generation of storytellers, the foremost of which is the Old Woman. At last, committed to print is an historical record of epic proportions regarding Yorubaland in its Golden Age, depicting the struggles of its people, myths and legends, sacred visions and traditions, and the legendary deeds and heroic sacrifices of selected individuals marked for heroism and godly status, to add to the pantheon of deities guiding them in life and in death.

Truly, the fervent wish of the author for the Yoruba people to have an epic of their own is herein fulfilled, notwithstanding the efforts incurred in the monumental task of writing, sans records in papyri or stone to base from. Instead, in the minds of the storytellers were the vignettes of history to be gleaned before the mortality of such historians gives in, as the only immortal witnesses to the occurrences were the gods and goddesses believed to be omniscient.

The ancestors of the Yorubas had embarked in an epic migration starting from a point near Egypt. I could not help but draw a parallel to this in the Exodus of the ancient Israelites, recounted in the Bible, that started from Egypt itself. And it is strangely coincidental that both undertakings were aided by preternatural forces, and neither Lamurudu of the Yorubas, nor Moses of the Israelites, as the leaders, reached the promised destinations. In both instances of migration, as the wanderings in the desert tried the patience and faith of men, the leaders faced the constant threat of mutiny, and in the least, the grumblings of their people.

As the people get settled and productive, they soon filled up the land, and a kingdom got established in the relative peace. It is not unusual for their offspring who are capable, to dream of adventure, and fulfill their destiny. Such is the fate of a firstborn prince who could not rule because his father still lives, or of a second-born prince who is yet far in the line of succession. They would soon wander away and look for their kingdom elsewhere. This way, more kingdoms get added to the central settlement.

Yorubas undeniably possess a strict sense of decency and a moral code of conduct, apart from the religiosity that the leaders follow. It is ingrained in their culture that every endeavor of some significance has to be consulted with the proper deity in order to ascertain its auspiciousness. In this regard, the role of a priest or priestess is indispensable, to read omens, perform divination, or cast oracles. Even leaders of the highest rank are installed and disposed of based on the instigation of the priest as the expression of the will of the gods. Their crude religion which could allow polygamy prohibits cohabitation of couples without undergoing the rites of betrothal first.

Gradually, the neighboring cities or kingdoms had been occupied by clans belonging to the Yorubas also, and the original settlement sometimes had to contend with blood relations for enemies. Or some of its clans would align with enemies. The Yorubas were then confronted by the influx of outside factors, the intrusion of the white man is one, and the Moslem threat is another. How long will the Golden Age endure?

The errors I found could easily be remedied by another round of editing, and yet the intended thought could be discerned, despite these. I recommend this to lovers of historical novels of any age. My rating after another round of editing would be higher than the 3 out of 4 stars that I will give presently

Gods and heroes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReyvrexQuestor Reyes's review? Post a comment saying so!
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is awesome. Thanks for the review. The book summary is well presented and it answers most questions that could arise as one continues reading the review. One fact to be appreciated is that the author finally saw his dream of having written history of the Yoruba people coming into being. I hope that the editing will be done so as to minimize the errors.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:

Kibetious wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 04:09 This is awesome. Thanks for the review. The book summary is well presented and it answers most questions that could arise as one continues reading the review. One fact to be appreciated is that the author finally saw his dream of having written history of the Yoruba people coming into being. I hope that the editing will be done so as to minimize the errors.
Thanks for your favorable feedback.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like a good historical fiction once in a while, but this doesn't sound like one I would enjoy. I am also glad that the author was able to make this book possible. Still, I think I'll pass. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 08:31 I like a good historical fiction once in a while, but this doesn't sound like one I would enjoy. I am also glad that the author was able to make this book possible. Still, I think I'll pass. Thanks for the review.
This is something like between mythology and a Biblical book. It got heroes and gods.

Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I stumbled upon this review thinking it would be about the Greeks and the Romans, and although I have a great interest in them, this still pleasantly surprised me. It sound very fascinating and I do think that I'll definitely look into it. Thank you for your review!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Sahar Majid wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 06:22 I stumbled upon this review thinking it would be about the Greeks and the Romans, and although I have a great interest in them, this still pleasantly surprised me. It sound very fascinating and I do think that I'll definitely look into it. Thank you for your review!
This book may be said as comprised of many books, just like what the Bible is. Wars were fought, heroes and kings contended with enemies, with strangers from the outside world, and more fatally with themselves, with former allies and worst, with their own humanly flawed nature. Greed and vainglory led to the downfall of the last great empire.

flabelle2014
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flabelle2014.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by flabelle2014 »

:techie-reference: This book sounds like it is right up my alley, that is historical novel. I definitely will look into it. I had never heard of the Yoruba people before reading this review. But I want to know more.... Thank you for posting such a good and well written review.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

flabelle2014 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 15:49 :techie-reference: This book sounds like it is right up my alley, that is historical novel. I definitely will look into it. I had never heard of the Yoruba people before reading this review. But I want to know more.... Thank you for posting such a good and well written review.
I am sure you will appreciate the book, or books comprising it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”