Official Review: Revelations by Catalina DuBois

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Revelations by Catalina DuBois

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Revelations" by Catalina DuBois.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Revelations, by Catalina DuBois, follows the Colburns. In the past, Pete Colburn lost his father shortly after Matt, his brother, was conceived, and his mother passed on right after giving birth to Matt. Being a teenager and the eldest of four brothers, Pete couldn't care for his baby brother and run his father's plantation in Louisiana at the same time. Hence, he made Natalie, an octoroon and a servant girl, Matt's wet nurse. Now, Pete is emotionally unstable, and consequently, he brutalizes and torments the people around him, including Natalie and Matt.

After a long while, Pete seeks medical attention, and he discovers that the voices he hears are due to a health condition. His doctor prescribes medicine for him, and a surgery is scheduled. Matt is now grown-up, and Pete arranges a marriage for him. Matt and his friend, Lilly, leave for Missouri to stay with his fiancée's pregnant sister until she gives birth. Someone is stalking Matt and his friends. Who is this stalker? Will Matt be able to get rid of him? Will Pete recover from his health condition?

Set in the early nineteenth century, this fast-paced narrative is a blend of historical whodunit and romance fiction. It's a tale of intrigue, passion, and betrayal. If you've read Book of Matthew: Part I. House of Whispers by Catalina DuBois, you'll see that Revelations is about the early years of the Colburns in New Orleans and Missouri. However, the two novels are only related through the characters. Each one has its own complete plot and thus, ends in a satisfactory way.

Unveiling a lot of secrets, this plot-driven novel is engrossing. I just couldn't put it down until I finished reading it. I couldn't figure out the answer to the puzzle. I kept on reading to find out who did it. The book is entertaining and full of fascinating twists and turns. Also, it contains engaging conversations. Catalina struck a fine balance of love, romance, and mystery. Included are some sex scenes, but they are not graphic. The narrative features crime, slavery, and racial bigotry. So, readers that don't like stories about slavery and racism can pass this one.

All the characters are lively and realistic. The author described them vividly. She provided enough information about them, and I could easily relate to them. Most of them are fun to read about. The protagonists, Pete and Matt, though hardened by life circumstances, are memorable. Whereas there are many characters involved in the tale, the author succeeded in using them to obtain a solid plot.

Overall, this well-written novel is comprehensible and compelling. It's a pleasurable read. It was professionally edited; I found only a couple of typographical errors. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to fans of historical mystery and romance fiction.

Revelations
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review! It sounds like an interesting historical mystery book. I love reading about this time period so I'm sure I'll enjoy this book. :)
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

Sounds like a recipe for fun. I kove your review.
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

It sounds very interesting and I love this genre. Thank you for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting! This one sounds like it has a lot going for it. I'm interesting to see what his "health condition" is and what surgery has for it. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Historical Fiction”