Official Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srensch1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srensch1.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Re: Official Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by srensch1 »

Although I am not a fan of mystery and magic novels, this one is well-written, and I might read it to see if I should change my mind. It is well-written and moves at a good pace.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

This does sound like a well written novel with multiple plot threads and well developed secondary characters. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

So the story about Catrin continues. I like when books can be read as standalone, so this one is for me. However, I'll have to read Apollo's Raven first. Based on your review, I can see the author's writing style with several narrative voices is superbly unique.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

So apparently this is the sequel to Apollo's Raven and that's good news, since I really enjoyed the first book for Book of the Month and I'm definitely interested in checking out more. If it has the same great mix of history, mythology, and romance, I'll be a happy reader.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this was an interesting Celtic historical fantasy and is definitely worth a second look. Well done.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I hope that the Princess will be able to find a balance between love and her loyalty to her people. If the decisions mean she must save some lives that that one would be the right one. Thank you for a great review of this book.
Theo Sanders
Currently Reading: The Prize
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Theo Sanders »

I haven't read the first book in this series, and I don't think this one will be for me either. I'm not a huge fan of romance or mythology, however I know that many of my friends will enjoy this! From the sample the story seems well written and researched, but just not my cup of tea.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I loved the first book, Apollo's Raven and I'm definitely excited to continue with this book. Your review definitely made me want to read this and it sounds like an excellent, well-researched story as well. Great and thorough review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I don't usually read historical fiction novels, but this book has piqued my interest. I like how there is a combination of historical settings mixed with fantasy elements. Great job on your book review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

"Linnea Tanner’s series covers a large variety of topics from love, the value of loyalty and friendship and the importance of duty and honor to betrayal, political intrigue and cultural and military clash. " I dont know why but I love stories like this. Love cannot be controlled, which is why in stories like these the people falling in love are on opposite sides, and their families are against it. I have Apollo Raven but have not had the chance to read it. And now I have this one from today. I will definitely read them both and if I enjoy them as I think I will I will read all of the series.
Dori Lee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dori-lee.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dori Lee »

Thanks for the in-depth review. I am not usually a reader of historical fiction, but I may check this out.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

What a dilemma Catrin faces. I love that the author included Celtic and Roman traditions, as both are fascinating, in my opinion. The star-crossed lovers angle reminds me of the romance of Romeo and Juliet, and I certainly appreciate that this book is a journey of self-discovery. Great review.
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

Not a fan of historical fantasies, or books involving myths or legends. Although I added to my not interested in reading shelf, I like the romance and I can tell from the review that this book will be enjoyable for a lot of people.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I am really interested in this book based on the review. I really like stories that make the character choose between love and duty. It usually keeps me interested to see which they choose and why.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I'm glad that the author continues on the story of Catrin and does such a good job of keeping the series alive and thriving.

Return to “Historical Fiction”