Official Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dagger's Destiny" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

King Amren of the Cantiacci Celtic warriors warns his youngest daughter: “Water and earth can only meet at the shore.” Catrin remembers his words when she realizes her impossible love story with Marcellus, son of the Roman Senator Lucius Antonius, has devastating consequences for both her family and kingdom. Torn apart between duty and love, the Celtic princess is the only one who can change Rhan’s curse on the lapin-crested dagger. If the curse fulfils, her father faces a most horrific death and she will be at the mercy of her cruel half-brother Marrock. Accused of treason and sent into exile, the young princess needs to make a choice between her heart and her responsibility to her people.

Catrin’s story is much more than a sweeping romance; it is a journey of self-discovery. Set in 24 AD in Southeast Britannia, Dagger’s Destiny is book two in the Curse of Clansmen and Kings series. Without hesitation, I rate Linnea Tanner’s novel 4 out of 4 stars. Since I have also read and enjoyed Apollo’s Raven, the first book in this amazing historical fantasy series, I had genuinely high expectations. Not only did the novel meet my expectations, it also by far exceeded them. Although it could be read as a standalone book, my recommendation would be to read the entire series. It is definitely worth it and I cannot wait to read the next book, Amulet’s Rapture.

There are many things I love about this novel. I am delighted with both the author’s professionalism and writing talent. Dagger’s Destiny is very well researched, thoroughly organized and exquisitely edited. Linnea Tanner is the kind of writer who pays attention to the tiniest details, helping the readers with a map of Britannia, a list of characters in alphabetical order or an explanatory author’s note.

Imbued with both Roman and Celtic traditions, myths and legends, the story draws a contrastive parallel between the two cultures and civilizations. There are memorable scenes such as the brilliant description of the fertility rite meant to validate Marcellus’s claim to kinship and to symbolize his union with the Earth Goddess who bestows rich crops and large livestock. If the realism of the story is ensured by the constantly changing network of political alliances and backstabbing, its beauty springs from the wonderfully interwoven mythological references and enlightening mystical experiences.

It is not an easy job to master the multiple narrative threads, but Linnea Tanner succeeds in keeping everything in control and adding unexpected twists and turns of the plot. The shifting perspective shapes complex characters and gives more credibility to the story. Secondary characters such as Myrddin, the Wandering Druid or Ferrex, the lion-hearted Celtic warrior are equally well-portrayed. Catrin’s power to prophesy, shape-shift or change people’s destinies give rise to magical scenes where readers can revel in the Depths of Possibilities. The symbolism of the raven is rich in meanings and gracefully ties all the sub-plots together. Messenger of the Roman god Apollo, the Raven becomes Catrin’s spiritual guide throughout her allegorical quest. Apart from the Celtic Princess, other female characters like Queen Rhiannon or Rhan, king Amren’s former wife, have strong personalities and represent a Celtic society still based on principles of equality and shared responsibility. Cultural differences as well as personal ambitions and the Romans’ expansionist policy will ultimately lead to military confrontation. The epic battle scenes once again reveal the true extent of the author’s writing skills.

Linnea Tanner’s series covers a large variety of topics from love, the value of loyalty and friendship and the importance of duty and honor to betrayal, political intrigue and cultural and military clash. Historical fantasy at its best, both Apollo’s Raven and Dagger’s Destiny have the potential to satisfy different reading tastes, therefore I wholeheartedly recommend them to all those who long for a complex and exciting series.

Dagger's Destiny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cristinaro's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I appreciate your thorough review, but historical fantasy is not something I am interested in. Complex series is probably not something my mind can handle right now either. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Even though I'm not a fan of historical fantasy, the book seems interesting, especially for the fact that it contains a little bit of romance, which is my favourite genre. Intriguing review!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I really enjoyed reading the review. This sounds like a very interesting series and a story about Romans and Celtic people is very appealing. I am sure I would like looking at the map also.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I have just added Apollo's Raven to my shelves, there's no way I can bypass this one. The reviews score the series highly and I am interested in all the different cross over genres so I think I'll be thoroughly satisfied.

Good job on the review. It's very thorough and helpful.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I didn't really like Apollo's Raven that much, so I won't continue with the rest of the series. You wrote a nice review, but I was hoping for more of a comparison between this book and Apollo's Raven. That's really what made me curious about your review.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

AmySmiles wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 14:08 I appreciate your thorough review, but historical fantasy is not something I am interested in. Complex series is probably not something my mind can handle right now either. Thanks for the review.
The book is actually very easy to read. I only realized its complexity when I tried to summarize it and write the review. :) Otherwise, it flows naturally and you end up wondering how you got to page 50, 100, etc. Thanks for reading.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 15:38 Even though I'm not a fan of historical fantasy, the book seems interesting, especially for the fact that it contains a little bit of romance, which is my favourite genre. Intriguing review!
I wouldn't say the book contains just a little bit of romance. If you like romance, you'll definitely love this one because there is a wonderful love story at its core and it is actually this love story that shapes the protagonists' decisions and influences many destinies. You also have a love triangle: Marcellus - Catrin - Ferrex. There are references to Marcellus's former lover in Rome, a married woman who initiated him in eroticism. There are erotic, rather than sexual scenes included in the novel. :) I would add more, but I don't want to spoil the fun of reading.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Britty01 wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 15:43 I really enjoyed reading the review. This sounds like a very interesting series and a story about Romans and Celtic people is very appealing. I am sure I would like looking at the map also.
Linnea Tanner has done a great job with this series. While I was reading, I had the sensation I was transported back in those times. I mean, it was like learning a lot of things about the Celts and the Romans while living among them and participating to an amazing adventure rather than simply reading an arid history book about their lives. Thanks for commenting.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Ti-G wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 19:56 I have just added Apollo's Raven to my shelves, there's no way I can bypass this one. The reviews score the series highly and I am interested in all the different cross over genres so I think I'll be thoroughly satisfied.

Good job on the review. It's very thorough and helpful.
I often wondered what's the attribute of a great book. In many cases, I thik it's the author's ability to write a story that transcends genres, as you mentioned. Thanks for your nice comments and I hope you'll enjoy the series.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

AliceofX wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 23:27 I didn't really like Apollo's Raven that much, so I won't continue with the rest of the series. You wrote a nice review, but I was hoping for more of a comparison between this book and Apollo's Raven. That's really what made me curious about your review.
I am wondering why you didn't like Apollo's Raven, but to answer your question, I couldn't insist too much on the similarities and differences between Apollo's Raven and Dagger's Destiny because I should have given many more details related to either the plot or character development and I would have spoiled the pleasure of reading for potentially interested people. Since Apollo's Raven is September BOTM, maybe we can compare the books there.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds complex but beautiful. Looking at it, I didn't realize it was the sequel to Apollo's Raven. I guess I would have to start with that one since I haven't read it yet. It sounds like the author is very talented. I'll have to look at both of these!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

Thank you for the review! I'm currently reading the first book in this series and have been enjoying it so far, your review has made me want to hurry up and read the next book!
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

I am normally not thrilled by stories of dynasties and history, but all in all this is a great review!
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for the wonderful review. I am enjoying the questions and discussions about 'Apollo's Raven' on the Book of the Month forum. This sounds like a superb continuation of the story. I will definitely be following this series. You did a beautiful job of describing the characters and the setting.

Return to “Historical Fiction”