Official Review: The Angel of Death's Abyss by Craig R Key

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: The Angel of Death's Abyss by Craig R Key

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Angel of Death's Abyss" by Craig R Key.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Nazi combatants ambushed an American army base in Poland. The originally five American survivors took refuge in a chapel where they found a trap door leading to the 'Angel of Death's abyss' - a Nazi's underground lab where humans were experimented without any anesthesia and zombified. Out of five, only Corporal David Brandt and Private Richard Jones remained alive. An escaped Jewish girl named Klaudia was leading their way out. Who was the Angel of Death and what happened when he set a deal of freedom in exchange for a spy among Brandt's group? Read the story and thank me later.

I'm sure, just like I do, those who will pick this book up to read will never want to put it down until they would reach the end. Their minds will keep on replaying the story long after reading this magnificently interwoven masterpiece. I finish reading it in just one sitting. The feeling is like I'm watching a box-office hit movie on a wide screen. The story is short and concise with an enthralling plot, fast pacing, unpredictable storyline, and realistic characters. The events are very descriptive and craftily exposed. The flashbacks are neatly inserted. The 'twists and turns' are wonderfully unfolded.

All along, I thought that the events are just what is happening. Jones overheard from the roving Nazi combatants that a spy is with them. He suspected it's Klaudia. After the Angel of Death's revelation, this is my reaction: "A Nazi using a brave and patriotic Corporal of the American army to spy against his own men? How? You've gotta be kidding me!" The flashbacks give me the "aha!" moments. My heart bleeds when Brandt achieved redemption for his act of treason with his last bit of life.

Though it's clear that Brandt is my favorite character, I can't stop admiring the other characters' bravery, too. One example is the almost dying Corporal Fuller who electrocuted nine of the enemy's combatants together with himself. On the other hand, I can't stop gritting my teeth on the antagonists - especially the ruthless Angel of Death. The book is not error-free. I found irregularly broken sentences, randomly capitalized words, name inconsistency, punctuation and grammar errors. The errors neither affect my enjoyment while reading nor the magnificence of the story. The presence of German and Polish conversations might put some readers off.

I cyber stalked the author and based on his profile, he is only two days younger than me, but his achievements are very far beyond my reach. This book is an awesome manifestation of his love for filmmaking and his expertise in screenwriting. It's not surprising he managed to put together a story like this that lures the readers to check out his other books after reading this one. Enough for the praises, but Mr. Craig R. Key is now my favorite author, and I had voted 'The Angel of Death's Abyss' for 2018 Book of the Year on Online Book Club.ย 

The perfect combination of thrill, the wonderfully unfolded 'twists and turns', the complexity of its plot, the realistic conversations, and the strong characters got me invested in this book. Those are the elements that set this book higher than the other historical books I had read. It's my pleasure to award The Angel of Death's Abyss by Craig R. Key 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to the mature audiences who are into a thrilling historical fiction. However, violence and gore are neither for the very young audiences nor for the persons who have reservations on those matters.

The Angel of Death's Abyss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

"The feeling is like I'm watching a box-office hit movie on a wide screen", Oh! I love a good book that makes you feel this way. It's short filled with all the delights a reader would ever wish for. I'm not supprised by your rating, and I too wanted to scope this book up. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It sounds like an exciting read, albeit one in need of a few rounds of editing. If the author could include English translations of the foreign language conversations, that would be great. Thank you for the review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

What a captivating review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much. It sounds really exciting. I'm intrigued by the humans being zombified - on whose side do the zombies fight!?
There is more treasure in books than in all the piratesโ€™ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I loved your review and my curiosity is piqued! The World War is my favourite genre and I would gladly read anything related to that period. From your review it seems this book has an element of sci-fi??
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I thoroughly enjoyed your review. Well, the story omnisciently depicts the miseries people and army men had to face at the hands of Nazis. I think it's a good book on this topic. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

The idea that a book is so well written that you can see it is so unique to me, and really speaks of the author's expertise. The fact that it is fast paced and unpredictable is very important for readers who get easily bored like me. Your review really does communicate your satisfaction with the book and I'll definitely give it a try. Thank you!
E_Thompson7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-thompson7.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by E_Thompson7 »

WWII books always interest me, but you've really caught my curiosity. It's definitely going on my shelves!

Return to โ€œHistorical Fictionโ€