Official Review: Rebels against Tyranny

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Rebels against Tyranny

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rebels against Tyranny" by Helena P. Schrader.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Borrowed largely from Philip de Novare’s account written in mid- 13th century, Rebels against Tyranny by Helena P. Schrader reconstructs the events of the time, creating a thoroughly engaging plot that presents the struggle between monocracy and legislation.

Though the monarch Frederick II Hohenstaufen has been termed as a man ahead of his time, a closer look at the remarks of a large number of his contemporaries considered him a dictator. His nature in this light is well explored in the book through the continuous Ibelins’ war against him. At first, John d’Ibelin, Lord of Beirut, is loyal to the pompous monarch until he detains Balian and Baldwin, John’s sons.

Rebels against Tyranny provides an in-depth look into Frederick II’s decisions and life that many historians have chosen to ignore. In the book, Frederick II Hohenstaufen has no regard for anyone except himself given his poor treatment of his young wife, Yolanda, Queen of Jerusalem. Amaury Barlais, Gauvain de Cheneché and Amaury “Grimbert” de Bethsan all gang up against the Lord of Beirut and his sons by befriending the unwise monarch who in turn tries to use King Henry I, King of Cyprus, as a pawn for his schemes. The Ibelins, however, are not ready to give up so easily.

Reading the book got me a little closer to living through the crusades of the 13th century and also experience life as it was in the crusader states. Even though much has not been written regarding this age, Rebels against Tyranny opens up this period in time to every lover of history. It reveals many aspects of the culture and politics in this part of the world during a perilous time.

The story is well-crafted with lively and relatable characters. Each of them fits their roles as described in history while still filling in the gaps to make a captivating story. I especially liked Eschiva de Montbéliard’s character. She is a woman not afraid of defying the norms of the day to free herself of the clutches placed on her. She expresses herself artistically in spite of her husband’s reproach and remains kind despite her noble position.

Helena P. Schrader carefully follows historical accounts to present a rather accurate presentation of events. It is evident that much research has gone into writing the book. Rebels against Tyranny will prove to be a delightful and enlightening read for every fan of historical novels. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Rebels against Tyranny
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

Nice review! Your review justifies the rating!
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for an insightful review. I love historical fiction that is accurate and a true reflection of how life was in the time or period in which the story was set. Like you pointed out, this is a sign of good research by the author. I will be checking this book out! Well done!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am always fascinated by this time per and would love to read this book. Thanks for your review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The things historians and people in general choose to ignore, are often the most interesting. Thank you for the thorough review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

It sounds like you really enjoyed this book. I am not at all interested in the time period, but I appreciate your review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm still not exactly sure how I feel about this book. I like historical fiction on occasion, but it really has to be engaging. I'm just not sure if this would hold my attention. Thanks for the review. It's obvious to see that you enjoyed it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review! This sounds like a book I'm interested in. I love reading about this time period and it's great that the author chose to write more on what the historians ignored. Hopefully there will be some more new information than the general knowledge!
Kgaelsdottir
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgaelsdottir.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Kgaelsdottir »

This would be a fascinating book to read. I'm an academic in the Medieval period focusing on the Crusades, so your review really did advocate for this being a good choice--including to see where my opinion and the author's might be similar or differ on a few key points. Thank you for a review that indeed makes me want to read the book!!!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems to be a well researched historical fiction novel recounting the events of the 13th century. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”