Review by melissy370 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by melissy370 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Sparta was the creation of conscient will. Perhaps that is why half Hellas tried to emulate her, and the other half to destroy her. But only Sparta could destroy herself." These enigmatic words come from a man who was a Spartiate and who should have been king. Near the end of his life, Leotychides finds himself in the court of King Philippos of Macedon. At the ruler's urging, Leotychides puts ink to paper telling Sparta's side in the preceding wars. From flock life to becoming a seasoned warrior, Leotychides shares his memories of a country he loved and the slow erosion of its society.  

The Fox by M. N. J. Butler is a historical fiction told in the first person with Leotychides flipping from the past to his current situation. Displayed in this saga is the mistrust and hatred between Sparta and its enemies. When describing battles, Butler gives you enough information on what took place without it becoming tedious. The author masterfully weaves into the story multiple historical figures and facts, making it complex and rich with political intrigue that will keep you interested till the end. 

Besides learning about the era, my favorite part was Leotychides' character. His Spartiate demeanor of being humble and disciplined made him likable. With hindsight wisdom and simplicity, Leotychides tells his account with an eloquence that can only be characterized as poetic. Along the way, I observed him in love and betrayed. I turned into his travel companion during the military campaigns and experienced his losses. Disappointment hit me when I arrived at the end of the book and had to say goodbye. 

There are aspects of the narrative that will deter some. One is the length. In my Kindle version it is over 700 pages, making it not a quick read. Another is the implied homosexual relationships existing between characters. Because Leotychides is reminiscing and recording his thoughts, abrupt shifts occur in the storyline, and he sometimes interjects side comments.  This style of writing may not appeal to some readers. Also,  countless names and personalities are introduced in the story. Butler provides a glossary, although you will need to flip back and forth to it.  

As much as I enjoyed Butler's tale, there were a few negatives. There were misuses of quotation marks and commas scattered throughout. Some paragraphs had huge gaps between them, creating half empty pages. I give The Fox 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who loves historical and character-driven fiction. 

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like melissy370's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Your language is deep and very detailed.I do like the political intrigue in the story.Thanks for the thorough review.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Completely agree with everything you pointed out. Love your language and thank you for such a great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Very cool. I have never found a historical fiction story from this era so I'm excited to add this one to my shelf. Thank you for the review.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I know homosexuality was encouraged in Sparta to make the bonds of the fighting men closer. Sadly, it was also their demise as the society eventually ran out of people.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Your account is as poetically eloquent as Leotychide's! Your review does the book proud!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review! I like reading about this time period so I might give this book a try. It's great that the author is able to weave in the historical figures and facts as it makes the book feel more real :)
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I'm glad you participated fully in the book.The ability of the author to immerse the reader in the book, makes this book a commendable read.Nice review.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I love the fact that Butler gives you enough information on what took place without it becoming tedious.I like it light.Thanks dear.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”