Review by Ann10 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Ann10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann10.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Ann10 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ann10 » 23 Aug 2018, 15:33

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s War by Greg Kater is a novel about the progression of World War II during the 1940’s. It centers around two military men from the Australian 7th Division. As referenced in the title, the Warramunga in the story is Sergeant Jack O’Brien, who goes by the name of Jacko. In the first half of the book, Jacko and Captain Jamie Munro team up with the British M16 operation in Cairo, Egypt. Their job is to come up with ways to outwit the Germans and their allies. This pair uses the resources available to them to achieve their goals.

The feminine wiles of the local women fit in just perfectly with their mission. These women are given instructions to capture the attention of the foreign agents. They are to secure and exchange information with these gullible men. Germany’s own technology is used to trick the foreign agents. As a result, the German military on the field can’t decipher the truth. There are some unexpected interactions between these military men and some of the locals. Once their mission is complete, Jaime and Jacko return to their homeland. The second half of the book follows them as they track down criminals for the Australian Commonwealth Investigative Services. Jacko continues to use his innate sleuthing skills to further the progress of the team they are placed with.

This story includes both sincere and contrived romances. These relationships make the characters seem more real. Jacko could not resist a woman he meets while sightseeing. In contrast, the foreign agents have no clue that their female alliances have ulterior motives in mind. It is made apparent that during a war, it is difficult for them to differentiate who their comrade or opponent is. This is even the case within their own circle of friends.

The military men have a chance to enjoy what wonders the capital of Egypt has to offer. The culture is filled with lavish food, alcohol, music, and exotic dancing. In contrast, the bush portion of Australia, which they are familiar with, seems so uninhabitable. The descriptions got me curious about all the native flora and fauna the author reveals. If a map of Egypt and Australia had been included, I could have related to the geography and physical features better.

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars because it gave me a perspective of World War II that I never considered before. It made me think about the role that the isolated country of Australia had to play during this war. The battle is being fought behind the scenes, and out in the trenches. This is the first book in the historical fiction trilogy. In the second book, I look forward to reading about more adventures of this daring duo.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ann10's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”