Review by daydreaming reader -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Review by daydreaming reader -- The Warramunga's War

Post by daydreaming reader » 22 Aug 2018, 16:58

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Espionage, exotic belly dancers and unsavory coffee. A war raging not too far away and a mass murderer on the loose. As the Allied forces seek to expel the Axis, an intriguing but small group of MI6 operatives seek to hinder the enemy in any way they can. Of course, during a time touched by war, no one knows who can be trusted. Nevertheless, as the web of deception is weaved, only the careful few will escape with their lives.

The Warramungas War by Grey Kater occurs in 1941- 1943 Egypt, close to the start of the Afrika Korp’s offensive against the British Commonwealth. The focus, however, is on the main characters, Jaime and Jacko. They first meet during the Syrian Campaign and quickly become partners. They then move to Egypt and then back to their home country of Australia. At each destination, the two friends find themselves rendering aid to the benefit of the British Commonwealth.

Zeus Publications first published The Warramungas War in 2018. This historical fiction is not a quick read; it is one best enjoyed at one’s leisure. This book flows very well and I imagined it as a movie while reading. The author’s biography states that the real-life experiences of both the Kater and his father influenced the events that unfolded in the book. As I am not an expert on WWII, I cannot judge whether every historical aspect of this book is accurate. However, the level of detail integrated into this exceptional plot is a testament to the level of research done. So much so, that there was an air of realism in this fictional piece. Thus, I commend the author on this.

This book contained many characters to help the plot move along, and is from the third person multiple perspective. To be honest, for a large part of the book, I was under the assumption that this book did not contain any main character/s. I found that most of the characters had a similar voice despite having dissimilar backgrounds. The exception to this was Jacko and Sarah, both of whom were of Aboriginal backgrounds. I sometimes felt as though Jaime blended in with the other characters, making him indistinguishable from the others. In the latter half of the book, the minor characters felt like repetitions. I felt this made parts of the story redundant.

I also could not help but notice that at times, the book was a bit too heavy on details. These details did not add obvious value to the execution of the story line. Sometimes these details were interesting, sometimes they were distracting.

There was just one error in the beginning, which was insignificant and had no impact on the overall reading experience.

I rate The Warramungas War by Grey Kater 4 out of 4 stars. The plot was interesting, and well researched, which lent a realistic element to the writing. Despite the personal issues about the characters, I felt that the approach used was more suitable in developing the plot as Kater had done. In addition, this book is the first of a trilogy, and I am honestly looking forward to reading the other two books. I would recommend this book to persons interested in reading about wars, espionage, crime, and historical fiction.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like daydreaming reader's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

mtsnel006
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by mtsnel006 » 23 Aug 2018, 16:23

I have never came across a war-book that wasn't lengthy! But it is great that you enjoyed reading this book in your leisure time. Books with a lot of characters like this one confuse me, I end up losing interest on the book as a whole. Thanks for such a great and detailed review!
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.

jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad » 25 Sep 2018, 20:24

I enjoyed the Australia part more than the Egypt part. I thought the spy portion ended with a whimper after spending half the book building the story up. I'm torn on whether I want to read the second book or not. Thanks for the great review!

sursangeet_2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sursangeet-2000.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by sursangeet_2000 » 29 Mar 2019, 06:33

Hmmm...I'm in two minds about reading this book. The thing is I'm not a big fan of war books, but your detailed review makes me want to check it out. I like multiple perspective books, provided it's well transitioned between characters. I'm definitely interested in reading this one.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”