Official Review: Asian Stained by W. Thomas Leonard

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Official Review: Asian Stained by W. Thomas Leonard

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Asian Stained" by W. Thomas Leonard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A casualty of war is commonly understood to be a person killed or injured in military action. This definition is very specific, but does the number of reported casualties truly reflect the impact of a war? W. Thomas Leonard continues his exploration of the Vietnam War in Asian Stained, the sequel to Napalm's Embrace. Asian Stained is written as a collection of short stories. A number of characters from Napalm's Embrace appear in some of these stories along with many new characters. Rather than a continuous plotline, these stories are a window into the life of a specific person, family, or situation.

The first several stories take place in Vietnam and set the stage for understanding the fallout of the war. The stories of two young men, life-long best friends, are told. Their honorable actions are then contrasted with those of the deserters. Another story explores racial issues and sexism through the interactions of several Marines with each other and with a Vietnamese woman seeking work as a translator. As the stories unfold, we are transported back to the United States to see what happens to Vietnam veterans and their families in the years that follow.

While these are short stories, many of them deliver an incredible emotional punch. The very first story left me in tears as I tried to absorb the reality that this tragic narrative represents. This book is masterfully written, but not appropriate for every reader. Lieutenant Brady, the main character from the first book, appears in several stories in this book. After his time in Vietnam, he is transferred to Camp Pendleton where he will serve at the brig. Here we meet, in the words of Colonel Roland, "The wreckage of the Vietnam War." These once good Marines are now imprisoned. Brady, with a fellow officer, fights an uphill battle to help rehabilitate these men, many of whom have been driven to despair or are suffering from trauma and need psychiatric care. Another story that particularly touched me was that of Alexei Kazakov, a young man who immigrated from Russia with his mother when he was just three years old. Though his story includes great tragedy, his is a precious example of hope and resiliency in the face of incredible obstacles.

In spite of how much sorrow is contained within these pages, I nevertheless appreciate this book as a valuable insight for younger generations into the long-term effects of the Vietnam War for the men who survived and the families of those who did not. The book was very weighty and difficult to read because of the emotional content and I wished more of the stories had come to happier endings. Perhaps that is a selfish wish on my part as it may not have communicated the author's overall message as well.

Asian Stained is a masterfully crafted collection of stories that are incredibly valuable in telling the story of the Vietnam War and its aftermath. Unfortunately, I found numerous errors and typos throughout the text. Missing quotation marks, commas, and misspelled words occasionally interrupt the flow of the text. For this reason alone I am unable to give this book a perfect score and must rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to adults who are interested in the long-term consequences of war.

Asian Stained
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Sounds like an emotional and gripping read. However, I have to be prepared to shed some tears and foresee the numerous errors and typos. I appreciate your honest and engaging review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

War stories leave an emotional stain on persons affected by them. They stay in the minds of war veterans and cause many of them to become sick. This is truly an impactful book and persons should read with caution. Thank you for your honest review of this book and sorry about the flaws it carries.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

This is an important point to make that not only the soldiers are changed and injured by war. I don't think I will read this book due to how it will cause me great sadness but I appreciate and understand its reason for being.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a very compelling read. However, due to the grammatical errors and sad content, I will pass. Thank you for your candid review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Another book about the war took place in South East Asia. This book is right up to my to be read list. Thanks for your thoughts on this book.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I appreciate your review, but I don't feel like I would enjoy this book. Thank you.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

AmySmiles wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 09:52 I appreciate your review, but I don't feel like I would enjoy this book. Thank you.
I understand. Enjoy would not be an appropriate response to this book. It’s more about educating yourself and developing your understanding and empathy.
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Obviously I couldn't handle reading this, I felt the emotional punch you mentioned just reading this line from your review:
Here we meet, in the words of Colonel Roland, "The wreckage of the Vietnam War."
Besides, I've known too many men who've been at war. If you don't know anyone like that, you might read this just so the reality of it is more meaningful when politicians call for war or to prepare yourself and your loved ones when war becomes necessary.

Return to “Historical Fiction”