Official Review: The Adventures of the Smith Family

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: The Adventures of the Smith Family

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of the Smith Family" by R. C. Hand.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lawrence Smith came from a poor farm family. His family worked hard on land belonging to Lord Huntington in England and was barely able to survive. Lawrence was skilled at hunting with a bow and arrow. One day, he happened across some highway robbers surrounding Prince George. Lawrence saved the prince and was rewarded with many plots of land. This changed Lawrence’s whole life. He went out on his own and started working on his newly acquired land.

Lawrence took in a boy and girl whose parents had been killed by a gang of robbers. Lawrence then started his own family by providing support and kindness to them. He married and became very respected and successful in the community. The story described in detail how Lawrence worked the land and came up with some good ideas to use the land and its resources.

While the book focused primarily on Lawrence and described his character the most, there were many other people that were also included. Readers will even get to peek into the background of the gang leader of the highway robbers, Jason.

At the end of the book, the focus was primarily on Lawrence’s brother, Sam, who went to London to work at a shipping company. The ending made me think that there may be a sequel to this book focused on Sam and his adventures.

The book was not edited well. I found spelling errors, missing punctuation, and inconsistent spellings of names all through the book. The many errors are what I liked least about the book, and they prevented me from rating the book very high. Therefore, I rate The Adventures of the Smith Family by R. C. Hand 2 out of 4 stars. If the book had been edited well, I would have rated it a 3 out of 4 stars, because I enjoyed reading most of the book. I really liked the author’s style of telling the story, because it gave me a laid-back feeling. It seemed like an older gentleman was telling the story. I liked the beginning of the story the best because Lawrence saved the prince and became a landowner. I liked how he started out with almost nothing and worked the land to become self-sufficient. I liked Lawrence’s personality and his kindheartedness.

More than half of the book was very interesting and reminded me of stories told from long ago. I liked that the Smith family’s success was built on the quote from page 80: “Treat all people with dignity, be honest in your business dealings and work as if you were going to conquer the world.” Lawrence seemed to have a big dose of innocence and yet could fight and defend against enemies very well.

I did not like the long parts of the book that were quite unexciting and seemed to drag with many details. Therefore, people who want more action and like fantasy books may like this book the least. People who don’t mind to slow down and read about the way it was in the old days of England and working the land, may like this book the most.

The Adventures of the Smith Family
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I love the storyline and you got me on this quote:
“Treat all people with dignity, be honest in your business dealings and work as if you were going to conquer the world.”. This made me want to preach this. I don't mind the slow pacing though as I find it fit for relaxing read. Thank you for your candid review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
LV2R

Post by LV2R »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 05:43 I love the storyline and you got me on this quote:
“Treat all people with dignity, be honest in your business dealings and work as if you were going to conquer the world.”. This made me want to preach this. I don't mind the slow pacing though as I find it fit for relaxing read. Thank you for your candid review.
Thanks for your comments. It is quite a relaxing read with a little excitement.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm afraid I would get bored with this book, but I appreciate the review. Hopefully the author decides to do another round of editing. It might be good if they looked into picking up or taking out the parts that drag. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

More than half of the book was very interesting and reminded me of stories told from long ago. I liked that the Smith family’s success was built on the quote from page 80: “Treat all people with dignity, be honest in your business dealings and work as if you were going to conquer the world.” Lawrence seemed to have a big dose of innocence and yet could fight and defend against enemies very well.
I love this quote, but I would lose patience with the editorial issues. Thanks for your honest review!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

An always in love anytime I hear of adventure. It's unfortunate this book is not well edited. I hope the author will take these recommendations in good fate and do the necessary corrections. Good review.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. The book sounds like a mix of excitement and boredom. Pity about the editing, as ever.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

This plot reminded me of a more realistic Cinderella story. I love historical novels especially about England so I might read this one. Thank you very much for your effort on this review.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I am not sure I can get past the dragging parts and the editorial issues. I enjoyed your review, though. Thanks for the honest insight.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I'd prefer the "happily ever after" outcome of the protagonist's heroic deeds and good choices to happen in real life. It'll be more interesting how an author could muster enough skill, talent, wit, and grit to transform that straightforward storyline into a readable and worthwhile piece for discriminating fiction fans as well. I share your preference for a technically well-written work, although I've come across some whose errors had been made non-existent and negligible enough by the worthiness of their theme, lesson, relevance, and significance.

Thank you for your honest write-up.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for your honest review. The slow pace and many errors would deter me from reading this book.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

LV2R wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 23:15 I liked that the Smith family’s success was built on the quote from page 80: “Treat all people with dignity, be honest in your business dealings and work as if you were going to conquer the world.” Lawrence seemed to have a big dose of innocence and yet could fight and defend against enemies very well.
Even if this isn’t a fast-paced book, the fact that we can learn this valuable message might make it worth it. It seems like Lawrence is quite an admirable character that did the best with what life gave him and was able to make the most out of opportunities and we could all learn from that.
Plus, there’s a certain charm to old-timey tales, at least for me.
Great review, thanks!
LV2R

Post by LV2R »

Lunastella wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 07:17
LV2R wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 23:15 I liked that the Smith family’s success was built on the quote from page 80: “Treat all people with dignity, be honest in your business dealings and work as if you were going to conquer the world.” Lawrence seemed to have a big dose of innocence and yet could fight and defend against enemies very well.
Even if this isn’t a fast-paced book, the fact that we can learn this valuable message might make it worth it. It seems like Lawrence is quite an admirable character that did the best with what life gave him and was able to make the most out of opportunities and we could all learn from that.
Plus, there’s a certain charm to old-timey tales, at least for me.
Great review, thanks!
Yes, I enjoyed reading the book. There were some exciting points, and I wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen. I think it is worth reading. Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Historical Fiction”