Review by David Koreas -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
David Koreas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-koreas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by David Koreas -- The Warramunga's War

Post by David Koreas » 14 Aug 2018, 04:39

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the traditional society, war was a common phenomenon amongst communities. Communities fought with each other to With the motive of expanding their territorial boundaries. The conquerors took control of the conquered communities' territory. That was the same With world war one and two. In the novel The Warramunga's war, the theme of war is the predominant theme. The author Greg Kater speak of the happenings of world war two. He speaks from the experience since he was one of the soldiers during the war. He thus has primary information about the war. Actually, his father experiences in the war also helped in the writing of this book. The leading characters are Jamie and Jacko. They are British intelligence operatives in Egypt but are from Australia. They gather intelligence about the German soldiers which they then supply to their bosses in England. Intelligence is a major tool in winning a war. The Britons finally win the war. Jacko and Jamie go back to Australia where they continue to pursue German agent who have been brutalising Australian citizens.

I liked the reflection of the Australia society. Australia is a country with rugged terrain and bushy forests. Most of its major main road pass through the Forrest. Funnily, there are no enough vehicles on the roads. Jamie and Jacko travel a long distance without coming across any vehicle on the road as they search for the gang terrorizing Australian citizens. Jacko is forced to trek a long distance to the nearest town to get a mechanic when their vehicle breaks down on the way. This is a picture of a suffering nation. Australia came from the dusts! The police officers have no resources to track down the criminals. In as much as Australia is least developed, I liked the attitude of her citizens to get rid of criminal elements in the society. The citizens upon learning of Jamie and Jacko intentions proffer them with the maximum support they need to nail down the gangs. I like their attitude, I like to see justice being served and the gang taken through the justice system. People should no longer take the law into their hands. It is only in jungles where there is no law and people are free to do whatever they like.

Sadly, I hated the premature ending of Jacko and Monique's relationship. Jacko leaves Monique when he heads back to Australia. Their love life had been romantic in Egypt. Moreover, they are concerned about each other welfare and confide in one another. However, little is said of them after Jacko goes back to Australia. There is little communication between them. I really longed for their happy ending. Leaving their relationship hanging was unfair to the readers. They deserved to know the real ending.

The novel was fantastic and I would recommend it lovers of thriller books. They would be amused by the method used in fighting and winning the war. On the other hand, this book will not enthral persons who are disinterested in history at large especially on world wars. It is centred on world war two.

There are few typo errors. They were minimal and did not affect my understanding of the storyline. They were mostly improper use of speech mark. However, there is a lot of positive response from the book and I would give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the discussion of the themes discussed therein ranging from war, love and romance. The themes are fully highlighted. The book was excellent.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like David Koreas's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”