Official Review: People Like Us by Parker T. Pettus

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: People Like Us by Parker T. Pettus

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the detailed and enlightening review. Country music, drugs and prostitues. I admire you for getting through the book. Unfortunately, this one will not be on my list to read
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 01:24 Seems like this read offered you a wild ride. The humping hooker stories reminded me of Charlie sheen. Thank you for your review!
Charlie Sheen! Ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa! Thanks for commenting!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Espie wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 06:20 I understand how hard it could be to go out of one's comfort zone and trudge what would normally run in contrary to one's viewpoint of how a regular daily situation is supposed to go. I admire how you've expressed whatever feelings or thoughts you've got into written form; it's as if I was the one who's actually in your shoes and I could really empathise. Congratulations! You've made it through! Thank you for such an engaging review.
Sooo true! I was taken aback a few times, but nothing turned me completely off, so that was good. Thanks for commenting!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

melissy370 wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 19:47 This book is so off-beat I don't think I would be interested in reading it. The music makes it somewhat tempting, but the foul language is not for me.
I totally understand; foul language and graphic violence are turn-offs for many people. Thanks for commenting, just the same!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Lunastella wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 19:59 This seems like such an original read! It allows us to sneak peek into the lives of people that, as you say, aren´t usually our friends and it seems like it has a very creative and ingenious kind of narrative, at least form the quotes you mention and the Whole Crack Catalog, for example.
I really enjoyed your very candid, honest review and thank you for including examples, it was the best way to get me enthusiastic about this book.
Even though I personally have never lived that life, my ex- was addicted to crack - hence, he's my ex! - so he probably experienced some of that; he's clean now and we're friends, but I've never asked him about his experiences... Thanks for commenting.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

LV2R wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 20:00 You wrote an excellent review on what sounds like a difficult book to read and follow since it was about a bunch of wacky dreams. Due to the content, I am sure to pass on reading this one. I think it is really great that the book contained music. I laughed with you when you said that it was mostly country western and folk music, music not normally associated with people choosing to live those lifestyles.
I understand. And yes, the music really did crack me up more often than not... Thanks for commenting.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

LV2R wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 20:00 You wrote an excellent review on what sounds like a difficult book to read and follow since it was about a bunch of wacky dreams. Due to the content, I am sure to pass on reading this one. I think it is really great that the book contained music. I laughed with you when you said that it was mostly country western and folk music, music not normally associated with people choosing to live those lifestyles.
I understand. And yes, the music really did crack me up more often than not... Thanks for commenting.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

trajoe1206 wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 21:44 Thanks for the detailed and enlightening review. Country music, drugs and prostitues. I admire you for getting through the book. Unfortunately, this one will not be on my list to read
I understand. This is one of those books that just appeals to a smaller segment... Thanks for taking the time to comment!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

kfwilson6 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 13:46 I had to read this review because I saw this as an option and quickly passed on it. I really wanted to read your take on the inclusion of music throughout. I'm glad you found it so enjoyable. As someone who doesn't appreciate country or folk music, and this particular cast of characters is not appealing to me, I'm glad I chose to pass on this one.
I LOVE reading reviews for books I passed on! Like you, they either make me soooo glad that I passed or make me gnash my teeth that I missed out! Thanks for commenting.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I debated whether or not to review this one myself and at last decided against it as I couldn't figure out just what kind of work it was supposed to be. Your review made me think I made the right decision ;) This is definitely not one for me, but thank you for a great review which satisfied my curiosity :D
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

MsTri wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 22:04
Lunastella wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 19:59 This seems like such an original read! It allows us to sneak peek into the lives of people that, as you say, aren´t usually our friends and it seems like it has a very creative and ingenious kind of narrative, at least form the quotes you mention and the Whole Crack Catalog, for example.
I really enjoyed your very candid, honest review and thank you for including examples, it was the best way to get me enthusiastic about this book.
Even though I personally have never lived that life, my ex- was addicted to crack - hence, he's my ex! - so he probably experienced some of that; he's clean now and we're friends, but I've never asked him about his experiences... Thanks for commenting.
I´m glad he´s clean now! This book must be especially meaningful to you.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Lunastella wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 18:45
MsTri wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 22:04
I´m glad he´s clean now! This book must be especially meaningful to you.
Thanks so much! I tried to stay as far from that life as I could, but yes, some things do sound familiar!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

This book sounds like quite the oddity! With its unique, out-of-the-norm format, I would have loved to read it! My only issue is with the errors mentioned, since the author has a strong grip on creative expressions like the one in the example you gave, "You ride along on auto-pilot, neutrally buoyant in a cocktail of perceptions, real and imagined".
I think i could survive the book's inherent foul language and it not having an exact story; it's the kind of book that makes for casual reading. I commend your prowess at describing your experience with it. I never knew you could actually listen to music within a book! Thanks for the insightful review, Ms Tri!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It's good you toughed it out and finished the book because your review is very informative. I'm intrigued by the nonconventional nature of the book, but fear the lack of direction/storyline will get to me. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I like the idea of the book possessing songs to set the theme for each chapter. Despite the grammatical errors, this sounds like a unique book.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “Historical Fiction”