Official Review: Mountain Dew Trilogy I by Harold H Milton

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Mountain Dew Trilogy I by Harold H Milton

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mountain Dew Trilogy I" by Harold H Milton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mountain Dew Trilogy I is a historical fiction book by Harold H. Milton. The book is set in the early 1920s with the picturesque West Virginian hills as a backdrop.

Tom Bell is a federal agent on a mission to find and break up a mysterious gang of whiskey makers in the West Virginian mountains. He disguises himself as a man looking for work. As he comes to know and understand the simple country folk he encounters, he begins to detest his assignment. It forces him to lie to these genuine, down-to-earth people. His heart is further torn when he falls in love with Jane Burton, the most beautiful girl in the region. What course of action will he decide upon?

This was a breathtaking book to read. The author uses descriptive, almost poetic language to set the scene. The descriptions of the various locations in the countryside were astounding. I felt as though I was transported to a simpler time, a time where adventures were waiting to be had. The publisher mentions that they decided not to change the 1920s language style that the author had written the book in. I am grateful for this decision because the language added an authenticity to the book. It also aided character development as each individual character's accent came through loud and clear. I assure you, however, that the language is simple and easy to follow.

If you feel like you need an escape in the form of a book, then this book is for you. Allow me to give you an example of what I mean. One afternoon after a terrible storm, Tom sits and enjoys the peace after the storm. He savours the scents, the rush of the water in the nearby creek, and a childhood memory of playing in the mud. Again, the author's descriptive prowess allowed me to share in the peaceful feeling that permeated this scene.

This book had the right mix of humour, action, and conflict. However, it is to be noted that most of the conflict was made up of the inner turmoil that Tom felt. Unfortunately, I can only afford it a 3 out of 4 stars rating. This is due to the format and layout of the book, which does not appear to be professionally edited. Aside from that, this was an excellent book! I recommend it to lovers of old adventure tales, young and old. I look forward to reading the second book in the trilogy. This anticipation is fueled by the first book's abrupt ending.

Mountain Dew Trilogy I
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

It always sucks when an otherwise good and enjoyable book is brought down by bad editing. I'm glad that you at least enjoyed it. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really didn't know what to expect from this book just by the title. I enjoy a good historical fiction if it's as well written as this one sounds. I have to admit, though, the title still reminds me of the soda. I'm looking forward to reading what Tom decides.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Historical fiction doesn't usually interest me, but it sounds like this book offers beautiful descriptions. Thanks for your review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Nju
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nju »

Thank you for the preview of this historical fiction,it really sound interesting
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Kelebogile Mbangi! Thanks for your review. It gives me an introduction to the trilogy. I happened to select the second book, Cheat River Gang. I hope I won't be handicapped by the fact that I didn't get to read the first installment. Tom Bell's story continues.

Return to “Historical Fiction”