Official Review: Caledonia Lost by William D. McEachern

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Caledonia Lost by William D. McEachern

Post by lesler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caledonia Lost" by William D. McEachern.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Caledonia Lost: The Fall of the Confederacy by William D. McEachern is the real-life account of Confederate soldier James Augustus McEachern during his battles as a Civil War Lieutenant. Included are the letters that McEachern wrote his wife before the battle of the Breakthrough, recounting his most notable battles against the Union. While historic in nature, the letters are heartfelt love letters from the lieutenant to his wife, filled with emotion from a unique perspective of the Civil War.

The author does a wonderful job compiling these letters, and this book would make a wonderful supplement to any college course about the Civil War. This gave me a different perspective about the war, giving a personality to the Confederate War. I have been educated with the perception that the Confederate army was fighting for the right to own slaves as a collective, which can still be argued as factual. I loved reading this first-hand account from a Lieutenant who never owned slaves, and was not personally fighting for slavery. He was fighting to protect his family, and I can understand that.

Lieutenant McEachern got injured twice in battle during the Civil War, and his writing of those injuries is vivid and emotion inducing. He tried hard to play down these injuries in the letters to his wife, so to not make her worry, which I found endearing. The compassion of how he spoke about his father the carriage maker was delightful. The overall writing style of this Confederate soldier gave me a feeling of connection to the rebel side, which I've never felt before. McEachern also talks about his family loss outside the war and discusses the family he does not know that gives him not only a reason to fight but a reason to come home.

I loved this book, and commend the writer for his excellent writing style, and the author for his detailed research in putting this book together. This book makes me want to read more not only about the Civil War but about the Civil War from the personal perspective of the South. Not every Confederate soldier fought as a means to keep racism intact in the United States, but rather to keep their own family secure.

I give Caledonia Lost: The Fall of the Confederacy 4 out of 4 stars, for its excellent writing flow, captivating subject material, and vivid imagery. I recommend this book to any mature reader (due to graphic violence) looking for a supplemental book about the Civil War from the perspective of the Confederate side.

Caledonia Lost
View: on Bookshelves

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like it could be very informative. However, if I'm going to read historical fiction, I want it to be as fun as it is enlightening. This one sounds a bit too much like a textbook for me. I appreciate the review, but I'm going to pass on this one for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The author does a wonderful job compiling these letters, and this book would make a wonderful supplement to any college course about the Civil War. This gave me a different perspective about the war, giving a personality to the Confederate War. I have been educated with the perception that the Confederate army was fighting for the right to own slaves as a collective, which can still be argued as factual. I loved reading this first-hand account from a Lieutenant who never owned slaves, and was not personally fighting for slavery. He was fighting to protect his family, and I can understand that.
I like this perspective as described in your review. The letters from his wife also add interest. Thanks for your excellent review!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I am really intrigued by this book after reading your excellent review. I think it will be interesting to read about the Civil War from a Confederate perspective.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Sounds like an emotional journey. I think the individual perspective such as these tend to be interesting since not everyone is driven by the same motivators. Thank you for the review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Historical Fiction”