Official Review: Flying Jenny by Theasa Tuohy

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Official Review: Flying Jenny by Theasa Tuohy

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flying Jenny" by Theasa Tuohy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first thing that I wanted to do after I finished reading this book was to purchase a physical copy and put it on a bookshelf for my daughters to read when they're a little bit older as a reminder that women can do and be anything. I am fighting the urge to get too personal here, as this story awakened a part of me that I had almost forgotten. Flying Jenny by Theasa Tuohy means more to me than I can explain.

It is 1929. The Charleston is the favorite dance, prohibition is in full throttle, women have had the right to vote for nine years, the Wright brothers succeeded in their first brief flight twenty-six years prior, and Amelia Earhart is still eight years away from what will be her catastrophic attempt to be the first woman to fly around the world. Laura Bailey is a New York City tabloid reporter who was brought up in a bohemian household by a single mother, and Jenny Flynn is a stunt pilot from Oklahoma City who stems from a wealthy, traditional family. These women are challenging and redefining gender roles and defying the social norms of the 1920s in the United States.

As a female reporter in the 1920s, Laura Bailey does not get the best beats - tea parties and obituaries are usually the stories she is given to cover. On scene to see firsthand if a stunt pilot can manage to fly under all four bridges that cross from Manhattan to Queens, she is surprised to find that the daredevil flyer is actually a woman – Jenny Flynn. Now she is being sent to Cleveland to cover the cross-the-country air race, at least the female aspect of it, and this is where she runs into Jenny Flynn and gets pulled in with Jenny and her friends while seeking an interview. As she bonds with the group, she gets her own taste of daredevil flying as a passenger on Jenny's stunt flights as Jenny performs in a few shows as a favor for her friend, Roy. They seem like two women who couldn't be more different, yet they are startling in their similarities. What starts as almost a feud between Laura and Jenny, turns into a dazzling friendship. The duo encourages one another to explore new territories, push boundaries, and stand up for themselves in a male-dominated society. Jenny also becomes wrapped up in Laura's quest to find out the truth about her birth father.

Trying to find negatives in Flying Jenny is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. As far as fact checking goes, the author is accurate with all the historical information she includes down to the name of Amelia Earhart's publicist. Even the language was appropriate for New Yorkers in the 1920s. I noticed a couple of small spelling errors that appear to be overlooked typos such as the name of the photographer, Cheesy, spelled as Chessy. Without a doubt, however, this book has been professionally edited. For the superb prose, the almost faultless editing, and the emotion-stirring narrative, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

This story is for everyone, but the feminist crowd will probably appreciate it the most. I do think there are men, especially those who like historical fiction, who will enjoy this story. Because there is some technical jargon as well as a couple of sexual innuendos, this book is not for young readers – high school, possibly even middle school, and up is probably best. I am going to say something I thought I never would: This story has been added to my list of top five favorite books of all time. It has been placed in the ranks of works by Alexandre Dumas and Victor Hugo. When I completed this narrative, I had tears in my eyes and a new spark in my spirit.

Flying Jenny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

What a wonderful review. I love how you set the stage by explaining what was relevant in the 20s. This sounds like an amazing book. Adding it to my shelf now because you loved it so much.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Excellent review! Your introduction about sharing the book with your daughters was quite touching. I also loved your description of the 1920s. The book sounds like one I would really enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!
tina52kurtz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tina52kurtz »

JuliaKay, I enjoyed your review so much that I now want to read this book. Really great review!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This book is on the top of my reading list now. Such an enjoyable and touching read. I applaud you for the passion and sincerity in your words. Thanks a lot for the wonderful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This is high praise! It sounds like a must read. I'm going to have to check this one out. I just finished a book that was set in the 1870s, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I am looking forward to learning more about Jenny and how she sets herself apart!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

kfwilson6 wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 21:25 What a wonderful review. I love how you set the stage by explaining what was relevant in the 20s. This sounds like an amazing book. Adding it to my shelf now because you loved it so much.
It was amazing. I hope you read it .
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Cecilia_L wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 23:32 Excellent review! Your introduction about sharing the book with your daughters was quite touching. I also loved your description of the 1920s. The book sounds like one I would really enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!
I'm glad you liked my review. The book is wonderful!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

tina52kurtz wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 23:34 JuliaKay, I enjoyed your review so much that I now want to read this book. Really great review!
I hope you enjoy the book!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 08:08 This book is on the top of my reading list now. Such an enjoyable and touching read. I applaud you for the passion and sincerity in your words. Thanks a lot for the wonderful review.
Thank you!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 10:15 Wow! This is high praise! It sounds like a must read. I'm going to have to check this one out. I just finished a book that was set in the 1870s, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I am looking forward to learning more about Jenny and how she sets herself apart!
I love historical fiction, and these characters were great.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Kudos on a beautiful and sentimental review :) I love the premise and the 1920s setting as well as the character dynamics. I hope to see this as BOTD soon. Cheers!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks you for a nice review on nice book which uplift women and inspire them by telling them that they are capable of accomplishing any goals they set for.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

SABRADLEY wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 23:23 Kudos on a beautiful and sentimental review :) I love the premise and the 1920s setting as well as the character dynamics. I hope to see this as BOTD soon. Cheers!
I would love for this book to be BOTD. I think it'd be a hit!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review! The book sounds like an interesting and inspirational read for women. I also like this time period and I love that the author did their research well :D I'll have to check the book out!

Return to “Historical Fiction”