Official Review: War Serenade by Jillwallace

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Official Review: War Serenade by Jillwallace

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

They say that even a war can't stop people when they fall in love. A POW camp for Italian soldiers that is based in South Africa is certainly intriguing. This book seems like it will be an interesting read. Congrats on BOTD.
FallyMike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by FallyMike »

The British and Italians are pretty close neighbors.... It's interesting how Jillwallace constructively painted that the both countries were in great tension with each other.... To top it all up.... The review told us this happened in the World War II and then made it all into a love story..... That's the stroke of genius...... I love this review on War Serenade.....
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

Since the mother of some of my cousins is from South Africa, I'm tempted to ask her if this is an accurate representation of what her family went through during the war.

I'm probably in the minority here, but forbidden love is not something I seek out in my books; sometimes it works, but too often it feels like there is no reason for the relationship to be forbidden. This scenario, people on the opposite sides of the war, and the heroine recovering from a broken heart and a bad relationship, seems more realistic.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This sounds like an interesting love story and I like that it takes place in a country whose involvement in World War II I know very little about. However, it might be a dealbreaker that it takes so long to get into the story. Still, I suppose I'll have to give it a chance in order to decide if that's something I can go through to get the rest of the story. Thank you for the thorough and helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I like historical fiction and historical romance novels. Usually, I tend to enjoy the romance aspect less the historical aspect, but I think that since this story is also so heavily centered around the war, I would hope for more romance. It does sound like an interesting book, and I love the cover. Thanks for the review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

I am not a big fan of historical books, especially that portray incidents of wars. So when I read the title and summary that it's not just a war is WWII so I decided to pass but then I read the short summary of forbidden love it captures my attention. Now I am willing to have my hands on it. Bravo to the author 💐👍🏻👍🏻💐 and reviewer 💐💐💐
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
stevo94
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by stevo94 »

i have a liking for world wars,cant wait to read the whole book.fighting for love in a wartorn place captivates me even more
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

While romance usually makes me hesitate, the fact that this is historical fiction, and it sounds like a compelling story, has made me think I will like this story. I'm glad you mentioned the dragging erotic scenes. I may have to skim over those. In all, this sounds like it's probably worth the read. Thanks for your insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Marcos Vera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcos-vera.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Marcos Vera »

The book plot is amazing.I love historical fictions especially those that touches on the world wars. Moreover, the love story of Iris and Pietro gives it a perfect blend.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm a romance lover but I'm also not into slow-paced books. Plus the fact that this story is somehow connected with historical fiction isn't helping the case. Intriguing review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It sounds an interesting story of the WWII. The love between Iris and Pietro gives a unique touch to this historical fiction. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Benson makau

Post by Benson makau »

I love the cover page of the book is very interesting and it helps to motivate the learners to read the book
ma8174678

Post by ma8174678 »

very interesting story. I like it.
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aditi1992 »

Love story in he time of World War must be so amazing. I would really love to read how the chemistry develops between the defeated pilot, who became a prisoner, and Iris. I liked both the characters, Iris and Pietro. Must be worth a read!
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I wasn’t aware that South Africa was affected by World War II, or that they had POW camps there. Historical fiction isn’t my usual genre, but I would probably consider reading this one if not for the excessive background information which makes the story drag.

Return to “Historical Fiction”