Official Review: War Serenade by Jillwallace

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Re: Official Review: War Serenade by Jillwallace

Post by Samy Lax »

World War II has always been associated in our minds more with Europe, US, USSR, and Japan. No one discusses how it affected Africa. This book fills that void and educated us perfectly well. What's also good is the love story that happens between two people who are stuck between all the horrors of war. Beautiful read.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Good review! War Serenade sounds like a story that shows a different perspective of World War 2, which has not been revealed earlier. The novel has a powerful romantic plot. Though the first quarter of the book is a bit dragging, in the end, it picked up a fast pace. Overall, it is an intriguing story. The book reviewer recommends this book to all readers who are interested to read a book with romance and World War 2 story.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

In the 'Official Review: War Serenade by Jill Wallace', the story is clear and lets the reader form an opinion about the book. The editor's note at the end of the review adds the necessary wholesomeness to it.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The fact that the book took longer to pick up is saddening. I also do not enjoy reading books with a lot of erotic scenes. I will have to pass this one. Thanks for the nice review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

This sounds interesting if I can get past the first part of it I think I'll be hooked. I like reading about war with a touch of romance.
PriyankaBhowmick
Favorite Book: Damn the cancer
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka-bhowmick.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by PriyankaBhowmick »

War Serenade by Jillwallace-I don't love history base story very much but war based history is my favorite. This is a romance mixed historical type story. This is such an interesting story other side the cover picture of this book looking so interesting... I love this book...
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

The novel is full of love story,it seems to be an inspiring book to go through it?
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

This review just pulls me in to read more about this love story. First of all I like that it is based in South Africa, thus highlighting this country's role in the light of all that was going on during WWII. As the reviewer says, it smashes the pre-conceived ideas that the war only affected Europe and US, but actually its effects were felt all over, including Africa. I also am curious to know how this forbidden love grew to develop. I hope they lived happily ever after!
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

War and serenade are very contrasting words to be in one sentence and this caught my eye. This is one book that I see myself reading therefore, it goes to my want to read shelf. I really enjoyed reading your review its so detailed and mind blowing.
sarik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sarik »

Jill Wallace is a interesting love story.this love story of World War oh...
like slow beginning love history.I really enjoyed the story.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

The book sounds interesting because the South African perspective of WWII is not often discussed in historical fiction. Too bad, the slow beginning and errors took away some of your enjoyment of the book. Thank you for your detailed review.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This story looks like the forbidden love between the characters Iris and Pietro due to effects of second world war ongoing during that time though the country in which they are living were not directly a part of that war.The review shows that book lacks good editing and that could hinder the easy flow of reading.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I am definitely interested in romance and some different perspectives of WWII. The thought of how the love story between Iris and the Polish POW, Pietro, is intriguing and makes me want to check it out. Great review.
Shae01
Favorite Author: Robert T. Kiyosaki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shae01.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad
fav_author_id: 32597

Post by Shae01 »

I'm not a fan of historical stories like this but I liked the way that it had something to spice it up. It will be interesting to know what the main characters went through because of their love. Forbidden love is really hard when two people can't be together because of certain reasons.
sayte
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sayte »

I have always loved to read about history and the wars behind it.I'm glad this book has been able to meet my desires.I would read it again and again.

Return to “Historical Fiction”