Official Review: War Serenade by Jillwallace

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Re: Official Review: War Serenade by Jillwallace

Post by Kinkini »

I am not a huge fan of war novels as they come with the pathos. Also, because you mentioned, the British colonies across the world suffered gravely during the war, as they had to forcefully participate in the war, which perhaps did not mean much to them. Nevertheless, I really loved the sample. I love stories about love and romance, and this book seems to have that. Hope to read it soon.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

There is a rather interesting perspective in terms of the POW story given that it covers such a broad range of areas. In this case, the perspective of an Italian prisoner housed in an African camp is unique among the vast literature relating to World War II documentation. While quite a bit of information has been written about this time in history, both fiction and non-fiction, the area and characters depicted here are new to this arena. Given the sample and the elegant review, this book is very appealing. Thank you for your thoughts.
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

This sounds like a great story! I haven't read many stories about the war but I am really interested in reading this one. I'm very interested to find out what happens to Pietro and Iris and whether he manages to survive and make it out of the POW camp.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Although I am interested in reading war stories, the moment Iris saw Pietro and fell in love with him seemed so unrealistic that I felt no need to continue reading. It must be the dragging beginning you mentioned. What I did like was Lena and Sophie's story about how they gave up their traditional life for servitude to the white man in the colonies, but still used their native tongue Zulu to criticize the world around them.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
gentleoth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gentleoth »

am a fan of historical moments and also forbidden love, this book suit my taste. Thanks for the review.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. The first few chapters were confusing. As mentioned in the official review by Anneloretrujillo, I also did not wish to continue with the read as the first few chapters did not provide a proper flow to the story. Sorry, but I would not want to read this book completely.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Robinmogusu

Post by Robinmogusu »

A slow begginning but a stronger ending. History about world war II and the romantic scenes observed in this story have really given me appetite for the book....thanks for the review :tiphat:
debdolittle1
Currently Reading:

Post by debdolittle1 »

No offense, but by reading the summary of what the book is about it sounds as if it is just another historical romance book like every other one written out there. Why can't anyone really dig down deep and come up with something completely different instead of running within the guidelines of what others have preconcieved what historical romances should be? Dare to be the different one, the one who steps over the lines, pushes the envelope, steps outside the box, and really comes up with something original, imaginative, and different from the recycled works of art that are placed on the market. Even if the book flopped I would surely stand behind the one who dared to be different.
Diamond David
Currently Reading: The Clouds Still Hang
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Diamond David »

War Serenade is a very interesting book that is coupled with war and romance. Every perspective of world war 2 is what i had always loved. The story about the woman from South Africa who also helped out in the war is so interesting. I really had a nice time going through this book.
namugalu mariam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by namugalu mariam »

For ma case l love forbidden love and more so history to know about wat took place in the early and compare them to todayz and see the difference .thanx for that review l find it interesting and wld love to know more wat happened in the world war two and hw that forbidden love went
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

War Serenade by Jill Wallace is about Pietro, an Italian opera star who becomes a pilot in World War II and a prisoner of war in South Africa. There he meets Iris, a young British woman, and a romance that cannot happen ensues! First, it'd be interesting to follow Pietro, who from being a privileged adored artist becomes a soldier and lands in a prison camp; and Iris, a woman from among the "enemy" and who dreams of becoming a Hollywood costume designer. If there is an aspect of the story that can distinguish War Serenade from other war romance novels, it would be the story arc of each main character, how they transform from A to Z. How will love and war change Pietro and Iris as individuals and as lovers? Reviewer anneloretrujillo has done a great job reviewing War Serenade. We learn from the official review that her points were taken into consideration by the author in the re-editing of the book. I admire Jill Wallace for listening to her readers and sharing her book with them in a deeper way by considering suggestions to make the book an even more interesting read than it already is. Congratulations to Jill Wallace for War Serenade as Book of the Day.
Last edited by Shas F on 27 Sep 2018, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

I honestly love historical fiction, slow-burn stories and, well, who doesn't like forbidden love stories? Lately, I have always been fascinated by the World Wars and romance novels. They are my go to. This book seems right up my alley.
Thank you for your review.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I love love stories, I hope to enjoy this one, I hope the dragged part has also been edited. Thank you for the review.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I'm always game for a story about forbidden love. I'm glad the errors you mentioned have been fixed. The South African setting should be refreshing as well. Thanks for the review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I suppose this will be a different angle on WWII stories. From your review, I liked the theme of the book, but for now I'll have to pass this one. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”