Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And...

Post by dragonet07 »

I love a good, emotional story, but this might be a bit much for me. The Vietnam War is not a time period I like visiting in literature, even after reading The Things They Carried. It sounds like a good read, but I might just have to wait for a time when I'm looking for a real, raw story. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
natashagrasso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by natashagrasso »

a big fan of historical event novels, can not wait to read
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

I've always been drawn to this kind of stories especially when it's part of a known history. Vietnam War is one of the most unforgettable event happen in the history and this book render characters that were raw and real.
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairé | Philippians 4:13
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

A very good review. I bet the story can draw some tears. I usually like a story such as this to provoke powerfull emotions. Congrats to the author.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Historical fiction and war stories really aren't my cup of tea. I hope Zach and his colleagues eventually get their well-deserved compensation from the Veterans Affairs department. Congrats to the author for winning BOTD.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

A story that revolves around the experiences of young men who sacrificed their lives to fight in the Vietnam war sounds quite interesting.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I am always game to read another good hsitoric fiction. All those good and bad moments that come into play during war make this book unique in its own way.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

Historical fictions make an enlightening read. It's interesting to know about some of the terrible situations the servicemen suffer. This goes to show that war in all ramifications should be avoided if possible. Thanks for the review.
Anju_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anju-9.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Anju_9 »

The prologue is interesting and the review is very helpful. I'm not a fan of historical fictions, but this book intrigued me.
Babatunde Alimi

Post by Babatunde Alimi »

It's a very interesting book that makes takes us down on memory lane about what happened a very long time before we were born... Keep it up
rma

Post by rma »

This was an excellent book covering an element of the Vietnam War that most people know little about. Much of the knowledge people have is about the Ground Troop and Helicopter attack and support actions during the conflict. However one if the most danger assignments was the River Swift Boat Teams. I served as an Army Intelligent Officer and frequently went up river with these patrols on Intelligence missions. At many places on the river it was less than fifty meters wide, providing the the Viet Cong and NVA units easy attack positions from cover on both sides of the river. The book gives a personal prospective of Swift Boat actions that places the reader in the middle of these actions.
I would strongly recommend this book to anyone that would like to become more familar with this aspect of the Vietnam conflict.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am impressed by the author's ability to include humor in such a serious topic. I am also impressed by your review and thoroughly enjoyed reading it!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

There is no doubt that Miller is a gifted author. His way with words is truly engaging for any reader. He is able to balance the heart-wrenching experiences of war while still inserting aspects of humor into the storyline.

I like when an author can write this way. I'm adding this book to my reading list. Thanks for the inspiring review. :tiphat:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

This looks like a good historical fiction. My heart goes out to war veterans who gave their all in order to fight and win for their country. Its sad that not all of them gets the recognition and honor they deserve.
Ann KENDI
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ann KENDI »

Great book showing the consequences of war and how politics play a part in it. It also shows how politicians will go to any length to hide embarrassment.

Return to “Historical Fiction”