Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
julytwo90
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And...

Post by julytwo90 »

This historical story got me interested especially that it is in Vietnam. I have not read any war story before. This must be a good start. Thank you for this review.
Nandy
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 170

Post by Nandy »

History, drama and so much more..this book has it all and will have you turning pages like you never did before,or at least this is what your review screams to me ;)
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

We are still finding out about the horrors of the Vietnam war and the life changing effects on those who fought. This sounds like an important account of the Naval experience. Great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
KathleenTanDeng
Currently Reading: "Terror In Manila"

Post by KathleenTanDeng »

I really love this book with the way it's been written and the story itself. If given a chance and the time, I would want to read this again and again my entire life.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Good review. I remember hearing about Agent Orange after the war. This will be a good book to learn the real story. Thanks for your review.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
KathleenTanDeng
Currently Reading: "Terror In Manila"

Post by KathleenTanDeng »

I guess I'd be loving this book with the way this review has been written and the story itself. If given a chance and the time, I would want to read this, again and again, my entire life.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

As someone who has served in the military. It sounds as though the author may have as well if his descriptions of the war, the terrain, and the characters are so vivid and real. It is always great to read a story and to really get a feel as to what was actually happening at that time and the emotions behind it. Thanks for the review.
tranquilwaters86+2
Currently Reading: Real Principals Have No Class
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tranquilwaters86-2.html
Latest Review: Together by Claire Youmans

Post by tranquilwaters86+2 »

Thank you for the review it was very compelling. Having read the sample of this book though, I know this is not for me. Having read this review, made me hesitate in making my final decision about the story.

It was actually a brilliant style to alter the spelling of the words to evoke the accents and manner of speaking of each character. As it goes on though, it was difficult to discern what they were saying, especially if you are not familiar with the naval lingo. I do agree though that the author is very good at describing the surroundings, very impressive indeed.

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Glad to know that the characters seemed real and the book itself was inspiring. Great review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Cecilia_L wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 15:52 I'm always drawn to the kind of realistic characters you described in your review. Excellent review--thanks for your recommendation!
yes you are right. i am agree with you.
Bgwrite9+

Post by Bgwrite9+ »

Deadly Waters

I found this review thorough but maybe a bit overwritten. Since it seems to be appropriate to be picky here, I will say that the word "very" is a useless modifier in most cases. Let the simple adjective speak for itself. I am also surprised that the review took no issue with the title which, for me, promised a true life story. Authors of historical fiction should be cautious in all ways about blurring lines between fact and fiction.
Charmaine_216
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Charmaine_216 »

For the few pages I read it seems like a very good read. War is never pretty. For the men and women who have sacrificed themselves for their country, thanks for your service! Thanks to the author!
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

It's always exciting to read about wars. Is to bad that in the aftermath of war so many veterans have to fight for their rigths with the government they are defending. Congratulations on BOTD.
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

The characters navigate a world in which the landscape is foreign and their reception is cool despite their profound service to their country. Unfortunately, the story of uncompensated care is not uncommon given the views of the agents that were utilized during these conflicts and the debates regarding the long-term side effects. In long-range view, we are able to recognize that these hazardous materials had irreversible effects, yet those lessons took quite a long time to be learned.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I can't imagine what the horrors of war is like, but then to suffer from sicknesses from Agent Orange and not be compensated sounds extremely unpleasant. It's great to hear that you found the characters to be realistic and that Miller's story was engaging, heart-wrenching, and yet humorous. On the other hand, it is terrible to hear that these sailors were not recognized and treated as heroes as they had to fight for their compensation from the Agent Orange illnesses. I'm glad you found this to be enlightening and that you enjoyed the book! Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Historical Fiction”