Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Based on true historical events, Randy Miller’s Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath, follows the life of a fictional character, a young man from a rural part of Vermont. Zachariah Martin is barely out of high school when he enlists to serve as a Blue Water Navy sailor. With little experience and close to no imagination what war is like, he arrives with his friends in Vietnam. The war horrors they face are haunting but worse challenges are yet to come. Back home, Zack and many of his colleagues suffer from illnesses related to the Agent Orange chemical and the Veterans Affairs department shockingly refuses them well-deserved compensation.

Randy Miller’s characters are as real as can be. It was easy for me to paint a picture in my mind of the war heroes and their opponents. The impact each of them has is further accentuated by an adept description of the background. The unforgiving terrain, the unfamiliar climates and cuisine all compound together to show what the sailors had to face in the surreal land.

There is no doubt that Miller is a gifted author. His way with words is truly engaging for any reader. He is able to balance the heart-wrenching experiences of war while still inserting aspects of humor into the storyline. As the book begins, a terrifying yet humorous character is introduced. His terrible temper yet down to earth character adds a fascinating twist right from the beginning. Funnier still are his remarks which send the boys in spells of laughter while being very careful to do this away from his presence.

The plot is very emotionally evoking and highlights the plight of 229,000 navy sailors. The young men left everything behind, their loved ones, their dreams of a normal life and the comfort of their homes so as to give themselves fully and wholeheartedly to their call of duty and to the honor of their nation. Anyone would expect them to be received with the honor that they deserved, the recognition advanced to a hero. The opposite happened and they had to fight their administration to receive compensation for the illnesses they suffered from their contact with the lethal Agent Orange.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath by Randy Miller is a book on love, friendship, devotion to duty, the history of a nation and the aftermath of war. It is keenly written and skilfully presented. An enlightening book that inspires thought for every fan of historical books that reflect on war and its after-effects. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I'm always drawn to the kind of realistic characters you described in your review. Excellent review--thanks for your recommendation!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A war does not impact on one side but both. One is an enemy to another and vice versa. I like books based on true stories. Thank you for your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The Vietnam War was really before my time, but I've heard the horrors. It's probably something we all need to revisit, though, and books like this are the perfect way to do it. To really get into the characters and realize all that they faced and left behind. Powerful. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I've always thought that creating memorable characters that stick in your head long after you've put the book down is the mark of a truly great story. I'm glad that Deadly Waters was such a book. Great review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Reading about the aftermath of Vietnam can help the reader to picture what happened at that time, yet I think it'll never be as real as what those men lived. This kind of eye-opening stories can help a little bit to create conscience of the devastating horror not only to the ones that go to the war but also to the ones that are left behind. Thanks for the review!
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

Thank you for the great review, I'm currently looking for the history book to read you point me in the right direction.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I love characters that are made relatable by authors. This is good for books. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Sara Kay
Currently Reading: The Water Trade
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-kay.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Sara Kay »

Thanks for the brilliant review! I don't usually enjoy books on war, but your description of how the author balanced his writing well has soothed my anxieties greatly. Seriously considering reading Deadly Waters now.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

This sounds like a captivating look into the lives of our sailors at war, and after war. I like your description of how the author draws his characters. No matter the story, if characters aren't likable, the book isn't worth reading.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

It sounds like a great book. I like stories that have realistic characters and it sounds like Deadly Waters gives a realistic view of the aftermath of Vietnam for soldiers. Thank you for your review.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A historical fiction based on true events and following the story of a Vietnam veteran sounds enlightening indeed. The book follows the life of a Navy sailor and records his bad treatment by the ones who were supposed to help him, Veterans Affairs department. Inserting humor into heart-wrenching experiences of war isn't an easy task. That it was well edited is another plus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I am a fan of historical fiction. The realistic characters are quite intriguing. Thanks for the enlightening review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Considering the subject matter, I can see how the book could evoke emotions. Inclusion of humor is the last thing I would expect in a book based on a war, but there it is. Thanks for the succinct review! Looking forward to reading this.
danjuma12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by danjuma12 »

This story tells you that the American government is known for sending soldiers most of the times on a mission impossible or a suicide...very interesting story by the way

Return to “Historical Fiction”