Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Re: Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And...

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Thanks for the review. Randy Miller in his novel Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath portrays the war in the naval sector of Vietnam. A young boy from Vermont goes to Vietnam naval area out of curiosity and becomes a victim of the treacherous happenings after the naval war in Vietnam. This is an emotionally-packed fiction that appears real. The author has depicted the characters of naval war heroes brilliantly. This book could be a fascinating read for those who like reading war novels.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this was an interesting story about a sailor returning from the Vietnam War and the impact both psychologically and physically that the War had on him. It is worth a second look. Well Done.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I enjoy historical fiction so I’ll be checking this book out whenever I get the chance.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Deadly Waters by Randy Miller is a novel based on and inspired by true events experienced by American soldiers during and after the Vietnam War. As a historical fiction, it dramatizes the struggles of US Navy soldiers to get fair compensation and medical aid for long-term diseases they suffered as a result of their exposure to biochemical weapons during the Vietnam war. It's a sad, wrenching story because US soldiers now have to face another adversary, the US Veterans Administration that refuses to release just aid. Reading this book, definitely an eye opener, requires circumspection and research to be fair. I am glad to learn from EmunahAn's review that despite the harsh realities the book depicts, it is inspiring, enlightening and is skillfully written.
Richie04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Richie04 »

Those it mean serving a Blue Water Navy sailor is more profitable than going to school?
How can Zachariah Martin leave high school to serve as a Blue Water Navy sailor?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a very nice and fascinating book. It is good to see that the emphasis is not just on the war but also on other themes such as friendship as well. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

I'm always drawn to the kind of realistic characters you described in your review. Excellent review--thanks for your recommendation!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a very nice and fascinating book. It is good to see that the emphasis is not just on the war but also on other themes such as friendship as well. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

You review was very well-written. Thank you! Today's BOTD sounds like one that will keep you fully engaged through to the last page! It contains real-to-life characters, a vivid setting, an emotional storyline, and even humor! Fans of historical fiction are sure to enjoy this one! :-)
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

The Vietnam war was certainly a controversial one. I look forward to seeing how these veterans adjust to life back at home. Congrats on BOTD.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

The Vietnam war was certainly a controversial one. I look forward to seeing how these veterans adjust to life back at home. Congrats on BOTD.
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

From the cover of the book I thought it was just another book about war, which doesn't really interest me at all, but after reading your review I see that it is a story about characters and how this particular war impacted them. Even though it is fiction, the basis on reality makes it a necessary read in my opinion. I can't wait to read about this humourous character you've mentioned. Thank you for a lovely review :)
Dhanaraaj Raghuveer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhanaraaj-raghuveer.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Dhanaraaj Raghuveer »

Fictions, especially historical fictions are always a joy to read. Will give it a read! Thanks for the review.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1880
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And It's Aftermath by Randy Miller' gives us an idea of the story. It mentions the words that are contextual to war. The ending of the review is potent.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Historical fiction and especially war is not my thing. Hope its interesting for historical fiction fans.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Historical Fiction”