Official Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Official Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Road From Money" by Sylvester Boyd Jr..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Road from Money: A Journey to Find Why? by Sylvester Boyd Jr. is a well-written introduction to a trilogy that portrays the author’s Aunt Estella and her lifelong encounters with racism. This book opens with Estella as a young girl who is part of a black family in the American South – Money, Mississippi to be exact. The first part of the book reads like a series of vignettes: simple encounters that represent the foundational experiences of a child and set the stage for understanding the perspective and responses from Estella explores later in the book. There are, of course, pervasive instances of racism and violence in the name of racism but there are also joyful descriptions of going to church, aspiring to attend school, and being part of an amazing community that supported each other. Sadly, the happier events were often a set up to discuss the atrocities that were imposed on the black sharecropper families.

I enjoyed this book very much because, while it is a work of fiction, it shares the experiences of real people and rings true to the times without holding the attitudes of the time up to the more tolerant standards of the modern world. It stays true to the historical perspective and shares the events of the day. I suspect many of the episodes in the book are expanded versions of stories passed down from various family members. I can almost hear Estella’s Uncle Leamon saying, “Let me tell you why our family came north…”.

It also wasn’t lost on me that the “why” was coming from a child. For example, Estella watched her grandfather give up his place in line at the store for several people simply because they were white. I imagine that as we move into the second and third books, these experiences and stories will likely be the root of what spurs the adult Estella, and family, to act for change.

The one thing I didn’t care for in this book was the ending. I recognize that it is a part of a trilogy and, as such, doesn’t – and shouldn’t - tell the whole story, however, the ending is akin to stopping mid-sentence with a ‘tune in tomorrow and see what happens next’. It wasn’t that it was the wrong place to end the first book, it was just too abrupt for my liking. Meanwhile, I’ll be back for the rest of the story.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because it definitely held my attention with its familiar yet well-written approach, but I did find the ending to be off-putting. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy a historical perspective and don’t mind the topic of racism. Racism is a key theme through the book as it is the basis for the subtitle A Journey to Find Why? however, it is handled as something that was experienced and is representative of a different time. That said, it's never easy to read about inequality and discrimination, graphic or not, and although it’s important to learn from our mistakes, it may not be a topic for some readers.

The Road From Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KLafser's review? Post a comment saying so!
ereason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereason.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by ereason »

I enjoyed this review. I see that the second book ("the journey continues") is already published so hopefully the trilogy will be completed soon. Like you, I don't like endings that leave one hanging, so I will wait until I can read all three books. It is a definite addition to the "to be read" list, though. Many thanks.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a very relevant story and I like the author's writing style as you described it. Excellent review--thanks for the recommendation!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Stories about racism usually leave me feeling some type of way because I can be quite sensitive at times. I'll keep my eye on the book nonetheless. I might decide to read it eventually. Thanks for the review. :D
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

There seems to be a balance of positives and negatives happening in this book. There is racism and abuses but there is also attending church and school. Thank you for a superb review.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This book tackles important issues, such as racism and inequality in an eloquent manner. Thanks for your enlightening review.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I think the violence as a result of racism would be too off-putting for me. I can definitely understand the author's desire to write this book, and hope that it can provide some insights and help build compassion in readers. Great review.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review. This sounds like an interesting read. I've always been interested in the topic of racism so I think I would like this book. It's too bad that the ending was abrupt. :(
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I would like to have a look at the author's perspective of racism. I don't find the topic very offensive. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Historical Fiction”