Official Review: The Stain by Ed DeVos

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sptlightstar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sptlightstar.html
Latest Review: The Stain by Ed DeVos
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Stain by Ed DeVos

Post by Sptlightstar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Stain" by Ed DeVos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Stain by Ed DeVos is a very powerful piece of literature. There were many times I found myself moved to tears reading about this Roman soldier’s incredible journey to understanding the love and life of Jesus Christ. It’s a book that will leave you thinking about it long after you finish reading the last page. DeVos has crafted something truly special.

The Stain is a work of fiction, yet DeVos’s writing is so intimate and tightly woven that you feel as though you are reading a real Roman Centurion’s diary. The story follows Aquila after he has carried out orders to behead John the Baptist. Aquila is disturbed by the man’s death, as in his final moments, Aquila witnesses John’s unnerving belief and faith in God. As a Roman soldier, Aquila only superficially worships the many gods of his culture and finds John’s faith in one god to be unsettling, but intriguing at the same time. After John’s death, Aquila is dispatched to the Province of Galilee to serve Herod Antipas and train his soldiers to be worthy of Rome.

While in Galilee, Herod is concerned about tales of a man performing miracles throughout the province. He sends Aquila to track down this mysterious man to confirm he isn’t John back from the dead. Aquila discovers this man is not John, but a compassionate carpenter named Jesus of Nazareth. What unfolds is a deeply poignant account of a non-believer who comes to realize Jesus is more than a mere man.

This novel resonated with me deeply—Aquila’s journey to understanding the life of Jesus was so vivid and realistic. It gave me much to think about. It’s easy for the reader to put themselves into Aquila’s shoes and feel all the conflicting emotions he experiences during his captivating journey. Aquila repeatedly is at war with himself, trying to figure out how to be a good soldier versus a good human being. I think his struggle will resonate with readers, regardless of religious affiliation, purely because he seeks to question his purpose in life, and that is something that afflicts us all.

I give The Stain 4 out of 4 stars. DeVos exhibits masterful writing that pulls the reader in from page one. This book was also very well edited. I only found one small error toward the end of the novel, and it barely registered, as I was so engrossed with the story. Fans of religious or historical fiction, like Steve Berry or Dan Brown, will find The Stain entertaining, but readers should be prepared to connect much more intensely with the content than most commercial fiction. I feel like The Stain deserves to be treated with reverence. The material could obviously be very controversial depending on your religious views. If you do not like books that take artistic liberties with events detailed in the Bible, then I would not recommend this work, as much as I personally enjoyed it. To me, this book is in a class of its own.

The Stain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sptlightstar's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: The Stain by Ed DeVos
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm a religious person with a strong believe on Jesus Christ. It's not only the Bible but also books like this that can help us connect more with God. I will definitely give this book a try.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I got teary just reading your review. This sounds like a truly enlightening story. I'm adding it to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm torn, because I typically find myself not interested in these types of books, but your review is quite compelling. Thank you, I'll look into it further.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I loved your review and I think I will enjoy this book as well. It has all the components of a great book for me with the religious and historical aspects. I understand about taking liberties with biblical stories because that can be tricky for me. Still think I will give this one a shot. Thanks for your review.
tinker958
Currently Reading: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by tinker958 »

I like books that make you think about your love and life in Jesus Christ. Our love for him is what should keep us going from day to day. I will read this book because it seems to give in detail the journey that takes place in his search to find Jesus.

Return to “Historical Fiction”