Official Review: Kill Slade by Victor M Alvarez

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: Kill Slade by Victor M Alvarez

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kill Slade" by Victor M Alvarez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kill Slade by Victor M. Alvarez is a historical fiction perfectly blended with gunfight, action, intrigue, and sexual chemistry. The story revolves around the misery and adventure of the Texas Ranger, John Slade. It reminds me of the movie, Once Upon a Time in the West, and the other cowboy movies of the '60s.

The Mexican farmer had pointed out John Slade's place for a five dollar gold piece to the bounty hunter Hatcher brothers. They attacked John Slade, who was an experienced ex-Texas Ranger and a legend in Southern Texas, at night. Despite the reputation for his quick as lightning draw with his two Colt Peacemakers, the Hatcher brothers caught him off-guard and left him for dead. Sad to say, his wife, Emily, died in that incident. Emily's twin sister, Lynn Evans rescued him. After his recovery, he joined the Texas Rangers again and spent his time hunting the Hatcher brothers. Will he be able to extract his brand of justice? At what cost?

The story was written in story form and told in John Edward Slade VI's third-person point of view. He handed it down to his thirteen-year-old son, Jonathan Randolph Slade. The narration pace is consistently action-packed and full of thrill. I thought of something that might blossom in his relationship with Lynn, but it did not happen. Thus, I could say that this book has an unpredictable storyline. However, I was a bit frustrated by the cliffhanger ending.

I cyber stalked the author and based on his profile, it's not surprising he managed to put together a story like this that makes the plot and the settings so realistic. He was even able to throw in some cool action scenes. All the characters are realistic and relatable. John Slade is my favorite character. His looks are that of Don Johnson in the movie, Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (1991). I wish I had Lynn's bravery. She risked her life to acquire justice to the death of both her twin and her husband.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of errors throughout the contents that hinder me from giving this book a perfect rating. There are some Spanish words without any given meanings. Aside from the randomly bold words, there are also punctuation and grammatical errors. Kill Slade by Victor M. Alvarez receives a rating of 3 out of 4 stars from me. This book will benefit in a round of thorough proofreading.

The elucidated cruelty on women, rape scenes and violence are not suitable for the very young audiences. Some adults might have reservations in those matters, too. I recommend this book to the lovers of this genre who are 18 years old and above. Those who found the stories of the Texas Rangers and other stories of the American Old West fascinating, will find this book marvelous.

Kill Slade
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

According to your review I seriously though there was something between John and Lynn until you put a stop to this fantasy of mine by this statement, "I thought of something that might blossom in his relationship with Lynn, but it did not happen." It would have been a great story with a bit of sprinkles of romance and hard core gun wars in it. Thank you for your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The elucidated cruelty on women, rape scenes and violence are not suitable for the very young audiences. Some adults might have reservations in those matters, too.
Based on your description, this book is not for me. Thanks for your honest review.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 09:27 According to your review I seriously though there was something between John and Lynn until you put a stop to this fantasy of mine by this statement, "I thought of something that might blossom in his relationship with Lynn, but it did not happen." It would have been a great story with a bit of sprinkles of romance and hard core gun wars in it. Thank you for your descriptive review!
There are scenes expressing the blooming emotions between them. Something happened that stopped it. Don't ask me what it was. Read the book. 😉
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Cecilia_L wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 21:58
The elucidated cruelty on women, rape scenes and violence are not suitable for the very young audiences. Some adults might have reservations in those matters, too.
Based on your description, this book is not for me. Thanks for your honest review.
I understand your reservation on those matters. Thanks for dropping by and leaving your thoughts on my review.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Not my cup of tea, but thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Although I enjoy stories with Texas Rangers, I would prefer to stay away from the ones with scenes of violence and abuse of women. Thank you for an exciting review of this book.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Great review. I don't really want to put myself through explicit rape scenes and violence, and from your review, there isn't much of romance either, so I'll pass this book. Thank you for your review!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I really like the realistic setting of the story. Thanks you about the bold and violent scene. I often feel uncomfortable with this. Though I am not interested in this genre. But I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a pretty good western and a great candidate for a movie.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Thanks for sharing your review and view of this book. It sounds very action packed.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Dolor wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 02:06 The elucidated cruelty on women, rape scenes and violence are not suitable for the very young audiences. Some adults might have reservations in those matters, too.
I think this might not be for me. But I thank you for the warning because oftentimes I dive into a book and find it triggering once I´m hooked.
Great review, I´m glad you enjoyed the book!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Due to the graphic nature of the book, I don't think it's for me. Still, I love that he uses a Texas ranger! Sounds like a fabulous character. The editing issues would be easy enough to fix which is good. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the great review. I'm not really into Westerns and so may have to give this one a miss
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your well-written review. It is funny but, like you, I've got the habit of looking up authors in the net, too, to understand them and their work better. The book title isn't something I'd usually go for when I'm looking for a past-time read. However, it's great that you've found noteworthy aspects in its pages.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Historical Fiction”