Official Review: The Noble Mercenary

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Official Review: The Noble Mercenary

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Noble Mercenary" by Patrick John Donahoe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you had the ability to be a ‘millennial’? Ian, Jacques, Serena, and Desiree are semi-immortal beings. They have been on earth for over nine hundred years. They are old beings that are trapped in bodies that do not age. They have to keep on changing their identity documents in order to maintain this secret of semi-immortality. The good thing is that they are defenders of all people. This book contains their numerous encounters as they help to resolve complex cases.

The first chapters are on encounters where Ian and Jacques are in Jerusalem serving as French knights. A big case, which is the grand story, starts when an underground group began operations that could lead to them ruling the world. The group is known as the Select. It is made up of twelve very wealthy and powerful members. Their plan is to cause tension between nations that are in cold war with each other. In the fullness of time, they will destabilize the world superpower countries and begin dominating them.

The Noble Mercenary: The Fellowship of the Ancient Covenant was written by Patrick John Donahoe. It was published by Mill Creek Publishing. It is the second book in The Fellowship of the Ancient Covenant series. It contains forty-seven chapters. Some of the chapters contain stories that could be termed as standalone stories. However, all of them constitute part of the author’s intricate plan to develop the characters. The stories are extremely memorable.

Patrick’s style of writing is very unique and intriguing as well. The book displays how cultures vary with time. The other striking aspect is the ability to perfectly interweave significant historical events and current scenarios in the world into the fiction story. This leads to the creation of a sharp contrast in how things were done at that time and currently. It is bewildering to see how these four protagonists, who were warriors as they story begins in 1101 AD, were able to use modern fighter jets in warfare.

The book is action-packed. The romantic dilemma among the four friends was exciting. It added some glow to the story given that it is full of investigations. The book is stacked with twists and turns that hold one’s attention while reading it. I had never anticipated it could be as interesting as it proved to be. The author uses vivid description such that one can have imaginations of what is being described. The moral dilemma presented is also unique. From a third perspective, the aim of the Select sounds good. However, as the story progresses, revelations are made that show what they are after. They are a group of power-hungry individuals who are ready to cause chaos so that they can benefit.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was skillfully written. The language used is ordinary, and the conversations in the book are lively. The plot was developed properly. The book was professionally edited. I recommend it to those who enjoy reading action-packed historical fiction books. It is slow-paced but really satisfying.

The supreme conflict was not solved at the end of the story. The suspense created was incredibly intense that I cannot wait to finally read the third book in the series.

The Noble Mercenary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Excellent review! Extremely detailed and insightful. I like unique ideas and books because it's rare to find those nowadays, so this one is right up my alley and I think I'll check it out later.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

The other striking aspect is the ability to perfectly interweave significant historical events and current scenarios in the world into the fiction story.
That seems like it'd be such a hard thing to do; I'm glad it was done well in this case! Your review was intriguing - I'll definitely have to check this one out. Thanks! :)
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I'm really glad I read your review because I had a completely different impression from the description I read of the book. I appreciate the clarification--great review!
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

I like to have a copy of this book. Thank you for the review.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Morgan Jones wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 12:48 Excellent review! Extremely detailed and insightful. I like unique ideas and books because it's rare to find those nowadays, so this one is right up my alley and I think I'll check it out later.
Wow. Thanks so much for this nice comment. I am very grateful. It's good that you also like this book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 19:45
The other striking aspect is the ability to perfectly interweave significant historical events and current scenarios in the world into the fiction story.
That seems like it'd be such a hard thing to do; I'm glad it was done well in this case! Your review was intriguing - I'll definitely have to check this one out. Thanks! :)
Thanks a lot for the comment. This is very insightful. Nice to note that you will consider reading this book.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Cecilia_L wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 22:22 I'm really glad I read your review because I had a completely different impression from the description I read of the book. I appreciate the clarification--great review!
I am also grateful that you read and commented on it. I'm glad to note that this was of help to you.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Bookcool123 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 23:52 I like to have a copy of this book. Thank you for the review.
You can consider picking a copy for your reading. You will be intrigued by it.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I have already fallen in love with this book, the storyline of semi-immortals must be quite intriguing. I would definitely read this, thank you!!!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Lovely review. The book really sounds like one to read. Its really action packed so will be longing for a read. will actually want to see how the author did justice to the book.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Dahmy 10 wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 05:32 I have already fallen in love with this book, the storyline of semi-immortals must be quite intriguing. I would definitely read this, thank you!!!
I am very sure that you will enjoy reading it probably more than I did while reading it. Thanks for this comment.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

topdan30 wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 11:05 Lovely review. The book really sounds like one to read. Its really action packed so will be longing for a read. will actually want to see how the author did justice to the book.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I hope that you will find it very intriguing and fascinating as much as I did. Besides the actions, the book has other themes as well.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A historical fantasy novel continuing the adventures of four semi-immortal beings sounds exciting. Combing history and fantasy into one tale require a masterly touch. Interweaving real historical events into the tale sure enriches it. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite its slow-pace and open ending. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a historical fiction novel with action, adventure and fantasy. It is an amazing sequel to an interesting book series. The book is free on Smarshwords and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats @patrickdonahoe1 for the BOTD.

Return to “Historical Fiction”